A Look Towards the Rams 2016 Free Agents(Poll)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Who should be the Rams top priority?

• Jenkins

Votes: 89 74.8%
  • Quick

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Hayes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Barron

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Johnson

Votes: 18 15.1%
  • Zuerlein

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Harkey

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2015/10/8/9481071/a-look-towards-the-rams-2016-free-agents

A Look Towards the Rams 2016 Free Agents
By BMule on Oct 8, 2015

usa-today-8241347.0.jpg

Its only October but its never too early to take a glance at some of the Rams' impending free agents after the 2015 season.

The D
Defense stands out immediately as the area of biggest concern. With 3/8 of the current DL and 4/5 of the starting secondary (I'm counting Barron) slated for free agency, one could expect some turnover from this squad to the guys they roll out in 2016. Throw in special team's aces Daren Bates and Cody Davis and there's quite a few guys on defense with important roles looking for new contracts.

Defensive Line

William Hayes, Eugene Sims, Nick Fairley

I'd bet that the Rams would love to bring one of Hayes or Sims back. But both will be 30+ years of age by the time 2016 gets started. DE could be prime candidate to infuse some youth. Fairley has a bit of work to do if he wants another 5 million per year type of contract, from the Rams or any other team. But he doesn't need to be Aaron Donald either. No one can be Aaron Donald.

Linebackers

Daren Bates, Jo-Lonn Dunbar

This should be easy. Re-sign Bates, thank Jo-Lonn for filling in for 2015 and wish him luck.

Secondary

Janoris Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson, Mark Barron, Rodney McLeod, Cody Davis

Jenkz. Everybody knows the drill with him. He's either making ridiculous plays or looking ridiculous. But nothing will keep him and Jeff Fisher apart. Nothing. Really just a question of how much he will command/get in a new contract. I would put the chances of Johnson, Barron and McLeod all coming back at very slim. But I wouldn't be mad if the Rams got it done somehow. Cody Davis has been one of the better teams guys on the Rams but special teams seem to always have a way of rotating through younger players.

The O
I wouldn't classify the offensive players on this list as being as vital to any future Super Bowl plans as some of the guys on defense but much to the surprise of Jeff Fisher, offense does matter.

Quarterbacks/Running Backs

Case Keenum, Benny Cunningham, Chase Reynolds

So? Case Keenum? Your guess is as good as mine. Benny seems like an obvious candidate to bring back on a cheaper deal if only for his pass pro and teams ability but Fisher cannot stop drafting RBs so who knows? Hard to see Chase coming back.

Offensive Line/Tight End

Tim Barnes, Corey Harkey

Barnes hasn't been as terrible as I predicted he would be. Rams probably would love for him to earn that next contract because I think everyone is tired of all the OL questions/concerns/liabilities. Though, the Rams may decide to upgrade in draft or FA. Corey Harkey is a living legend. Enough said.

Wide Receiver/Kicker

Brian Quick, Greg Zuerlein

The most frustrating draft pick of the Snisher era and one of the better draft picks of the Snisher era. I still believe in Quick. I'm also dumb. One of the top two blocking WRs on the team, he's never been able to show a glimpse of the Terrell Owens talk that Snead dubbed him with after the 2012 draft. Most fans know he came on early in 2014 but then suffered a torn rotator cuff. He's going to have to show the Rams some kind of progress. Turns out that The Leg actually is a pretty good kicker. Should be a lock to bring back, unless the 2015 kicker bug gets him first.

The Rams figure to have plenty of cap space heading into 2016 but will they be able to make everyone happy? No. And they shouldn't try to with everyone on this list. The two most logical options for the Franchise Tag would have to be Jenkins or Zuerlein and 2015 franchise tag for CBs and Kickers were $13.05 mil and $4.12 mil, respectively. That just doesn't seem like a good idea for the Rams to slap Jenkz with that for one year.

We are still a long way away from free agency but I can't help but think how different this team could look in 2016, mainly the defense. Best to just enjoy the 2015 season. Or try to, anyway.

fearsomefour

Legend
According to Over The Cap, the Rams have $40M in cap space for next year.
Cutting Cook would create another $5.6M in cap room, cutting Long another $11M or so, Saffold about another $3.4M, Britt about another $3M....they have some options there.
Of the players listed above Jenkins is the top guy to me, but, I want Johnson and Barron back as well, along with Hayes, Quick and Harkey.
I am not saying I think the Rams should hake any of those cuts. But is push comes to shove jetting, say, Saffold and Britt off if it allows Quick and Barron makes sense to me.
I would like to see Long reconfigure his deal to free up some money as well. The Rams should really try to get the the most important guys signed before FA starts....Jenkins, Johnson, Barron and Hayes. I would be willing to bet someone will over pay for either or Jenkins and Johnson. This offseason will be tough and I hope there is not too much pain.
Resigning Barnes may be a priority as well. May not want to start another search for a C.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I would have preferred to go "All-of the-above" But I picked Barron because our LB corps is "Thin" and he's a great help their!!

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
More so then Jenkins, I actually think McLeod is more important to this defense than either corner.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I voted Tru. He's good, he'll most likely be cheaper, and Gaines will be back. I'd try to resign Jenkins but with leverage gained from resigning Tru.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
OK, who voted for GZ? C'mon. Let's hear the rationale.

lockdnram21

Legend
I voted Tru. He's good, he'll most likely be cheaper, and Gaines will be back. I'd try to resign Jenkins but with leverage gained from resigning Tru.
The thing is Jenkins is better then both hes the only lock down cb we have. Gaines and Johnson cant hang with #1 receivers like Jenkins.imo Gaines and Johnson are #2 cbs Jenkins is a must resign.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
The thing is Jenkins is better then both hes the only lock down cb we have. Gaines and Johnson cant hang with #1 receivers like Jenkins.imo Gaines and Johnson are #2 cbs Jenkins is a must resign.
Re-sign them both. CB depth is massively important. Extend Brockers, and bring back Barron. That's my order of importance.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
It's gotta be Jenkins. Teams are flat out avoiding his side of the field, for the most part. Pushing all the action to Tru's side of the field and allows him to make plays on the ball. We've got a good tandem, and with Gaines back next year, our secondary will finally be solid.

lockdnram21

Legend
It's gotta be Jenkins. Teams are flat out avoiding his side of the field, for the most part. Pushing all the action to Tru's side of the field and allows him to make plays on the ball. We've got a good tandem, and with Gaines back next year, our secondary will finally be solid.
James jones was a non factorwhen Jenkins was guarding him. i forgot he was on the packers untijoyner slipped

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I'd try bring every one of those players on that list back, and I'd add Barnes to that list ... so long as they're not asking to be overpaid. So I guess to me, it just has a lot more to do with whether or not they're trying to screw over the team.

We should be able to sign quite a few though ... and we should probably think real hard about cutting Cook.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
I'M gonna focus on the shoulder problems that seem to reoccur and hurt our team. We can use the extra $$$ to sign our DB'S in 2016. Saffold,Quick and Britt ALL have shoulder injuries. How serious is Britt's ? I just know he is not getting it done SO FAR and keeps holding his shoulder on the way off the field. Saffold was rejected after signing a very big contract with the Raiders due to his shoulder injury. We then signed him again and it just never seems to go away. I understand he was banging on B.J. Raji who also left the game injured BUT. We need to move on and cut our losses if he misses any time after the bye. The Raiders DR's will have been proved right in their assessment. Love #76 but we can and need to move on with Cody Wichmann who has the ability to start and be something special.

I'll also give Quick the remaining season to see if he CAN be or Can't be someone who can help this team. He is not who he was beggining to be when he got hurt . Save the team some money and DO BETTER with a player with Clutch Hands ,Size,speed . Accept your mistake with this pick and move on. Time to draft more quality "O" players than Gurley Sorry if I seemed too negative. Everyone has the rest of this Long season with still promise to prove me wrong. I hope all 3 do. That would be a good thing for THE RAMS . NO INJURIES!!! :icare: CUT COOK!!!

lockdnram21

Legend
I'M gonna focus on the shoulder problems that seem to reoccur and hurt our team. We can use the extra $$$ to sign our DB'S in 2016. Saffold,Quick and Britt ALL have shoulder injuries. How serious is Britt's ? I just know he is not getting it done SO FAR and keeps holding his shoulder on the way off the field. Saffold was rejected after signing a very big contract with the Raiders due to his shoulder injury. We then signed him again and it just never seems to go away. I understand he was banging on B.J. Raji who also left the game injured BUT. We need to move on and cut our losses if he misses any time after the bye. The Raiders DR's will have been proved right in their assessment. Love #76 but we can and need to move on with Cody Wichmann who has the ability to start and be something special.

I'll also give Quick the remaining season to see if he CAN be or Can't be someone who can help this team. He is not who he was beggining to be when he got hurt . Save the team some money and DO BETTER with a player with Clutch Hands ,Size,speed . Accept your mistake with this pick and move on. Time to draft more quality "O" players than Gurley Sorry if I seemed too negative. Everyone has the rest of this Long season with still promise to prove me wrong. I hope all 3 do. That would be a good thing for THE RAMS . NO INJURIES!!! :icare: CUT COOK!!!
So your saying Quick isn't who he was beginning to be because of one game and 1 drop? SMH