A franchise in London is a “realistic possibility”

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-franchise-in-london-a-realistic-possibility/

Goodell calls a franchise in London a “realistic possibility”
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 6, 2016

350x-552.jpg
Reuters

Although the NFL is focused more right now on making regular visits to London, the league may eventually have a team there permanently.

Commissioner Roger Goodell said Friday that he sees continued growth in the NFL’s popularity in the United Kingdom, and it could continue to grow to the point where a franchise is there.

“Every time we give our U.K. fans, and I think this is true on a global basis, an opportunity to engage with football, the fans want more, and the key to our strategy several years ago was to give them the real thing, regular season games, and I think that’s worked,” Goodell said. “I think fans have appreciated that.

Every year I go back to London, I see the fans are more sophisticated. They understand the game more. They’re following it more. We expect a big audience will be in the U.K. watching the Super Bowl on Sunday, Monday morning I think their time. That’s exciting for us. We are considering playing more games in the U.K. It’s a balancing act with our schedule.

As you know, we’re playing in two different stadiums this year, so that gives us a little bit more flexibility in how we do that, but I believe the future will see more games in the U.K. As far as a franchise, let’s continue to grow. Let’s continue to see that excitement and enthusiasm, passion and support continue to develop. If it does, I think that’s a realistic possibility.”

The league would still have to figure out all kinds of logistical issues before a team in London could be feasible, and a franchise there is several years off if it ever happens. But now that the NFL has finally filled its vacancy in Los Angeles, speculation may now turn to whether a team will move to London.
--------
Goodall will do what he always does – jam his agenda down other people’s throats.

Listen up UK, whether you want it or not you’re getting a franchise. To the American players, enjoy the 6 hour plane rides just to get to NY.
------------
There is as much chance of London landing an NFL franchise as there is of Johnny Manziel starting for the Browns or any other team in 2016.
-----------
The time difference between here and the continent would make it horrible. A 4:30pm Sunday start is 9:30pm in London. You could never have the London team play a night game away; it would be cruel to their fans to have a game start at 1:30am their time (8:30 pm in the east). That is start! It wouldn’t be over until 5:00am Monday or Tuesday morning.

Stick to having a couple Sunday morning games with existing teams going to London and then getting a bye.
----------
Whilst there’s arguments against, to those who say London is simply too far, you’re wrong. Firstly, these guys don’t fly in cattle class, and in 2019 Virgin Atlantic plan to have a next-gen supersonic business jet in the air, in service 2023, just 7yrs from now! And even with current jets, it’s only 2hrs luxury first-class travel further than going from the East Coast to Seattle, expedited through customs into limos to a luxury suite. Hardly hellish. And London has a state-of-the-art desso field (natural grass but interwoven with artificial fibres for durability, safety and consistency) to play on that puts many current NFL fields to shame.

My suggestion would be a renewed, separated Europe or World Conference, that maybe 10yrs from now played concurrent with the NFL, and if competitive by then it’s winner gets the lowest (i.e. travelling) seed into the playoffs if it’s record is better than the worst AFC or NFC candidate.
----------
As much as I enjoy attending the games over here, the thought of the Jaguars moving to London doesn’t really fill me with much excitement.

Keep sending three games a year over here, and we’ll be happy.
---------
Every time I watch a London game the stadium is packed and they ooh and ahh on every exciting play. Why wouldn’t they love the sport if they had their own team? It’s the greatest sport there is. People posting here are too hung up on their anti-Goodell agenda and don’t give the Brits enough credit. The sport would thrive there.
----------
I’ll bet there is no shortage of players who would love to live in London and play football there. They are very enthusiastic about the game there now, and fill Wembley everytime there is a game. That is more than you can say here, about some of the stadiums.

So what someone says a plane ride from London to NY is 6 hours.

It’s 5 hours to the west coast here, and they go backwards and forwards all season. Most people here, have never been to London, so don’t talk about something you know nothing about!!
----------
I’m British… I’m in the UK… I follow all Minnesota sports through choice… yet even I can see that a franchise in the UK just won’t logistically work.

First off, the team will almost certainly carry out its entire off season in the US – this includes all but perhaps the end of training camp.

How are street free agents brought in for a look see going to be covered? This will again be in the US where it is easier to execute. How is this going to affect the team if it’s currently playing a string of games in the UK?

The League hasn’t had the greatest track record recently regarding the behaviour of some of its players. How can some players who perhaps have been charged or even accused of serious offenses going to be granted permission to travel to the UK – let alone earn a living there?

Finally, the League will try to ‘force’ season tickets on the UK supporters. While that might work for two or three games a season, try getting that functioning with eight games.

Maybe if the UK and US build closer political ties if the UK exits the European Union (EU), and maybe if a faster means of transport across the Atlantic can be sourced, then MAYBE a franchise could be successful in the UK.
-------------------------------
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...inching-forward-on-permanent-london-franchise

Surely but slowly, NFL inching forward on permanent London franchise
The NFL plans to expand the number of games played in the UK from three to eight, perhaps the final test before placing a permanent team in London
Les Carpenter in San Francisco
@Lescarpenter
Saturday 6 February 2016

When Roger Goodell took over as NFL commissioner in 2006 he had three clear priorities: deal with a festering labor dispute, decide which teams would play in Los Angeles and see if it was possible to put a team in London. Then came the link between head trauma and long-term effects on players’ health and Goodell’s plan was derailed.

But over time Goodell has made progress on his initial agenda. The lockout in 2011 created a tentative peace with the players’ union and Los Angeles has finally been resolved enough that London is now a top priority. The next few years will be critical toward deciding what the NFL ultimately wants to do in the UK.

Friday’s announcement that the NFL will play a Monday Night Football game in Mexico City on 21 November should not be interpreted as a sign the league is looking to put a team in Mexico. Rather, it is a piece of a larger experiment to extend the game beyond the borders of the 48 contiguous states and expand the game into new markets. The regular-season game the league will play in Mexico are more a showcase in a neighboring country where the NFL has long tried to build a fanbase.

London remains the place where the league is interested in placing a franchise several league sources said Friday.

“It’s not dead at all,” replied Kansas City Chiefs CEO Clark Hunt, he head of the league’s international committee, when asked if the NFL was still serious about an actual franchise in London as opposed to a series of games.

The momentum that seemed to stall toward putting a team in London is pushing forward again, albeit slowly. This is not a league that moves quickly. “Look, it took us 20 years to get a team in LA,” one NFL executive said on Friday. A long list of logistical issues remain before the NFL could transfer a team or create a new one in London but there are definite signs that a top priority is finding answers for those problems.

One of the biggest concerns league officials have is in making sure that teams don’t feel a competitive disadvantage when playing in London. Hunt said clubs that have gone to the UK in recent years have said they did not find the experience to be nearly as big a distraction as they thought it might be. But so far the London games have been a bit of a controlled experience.

The NFL has been sure to schedule bye weeks after the games for those teams that have gone to London, but as the league adds more games in the UK they won’t be able to guarantee byes for every club. Someone soon, perhaps as early as this fall, is going to have to play the Sunday after a London game. What will happen when one does? Will the coaches and players complain? Will this frighten other teams from agreeing to go overseas? Does the movement toward putting a team in London then come to a stop?

“If our teams aren’t comfortable with the strategy then the strategy will fall apart,” Mark Waller, the NFL’s vice president in charge of international operations.

Answering this question is one of the immediate priorities for the league as it slowly pushes toward a London resolution.

On Friday, Goodell said he was thrilled the three NFL games in London next season have already sold out and said the league’s full-time move to the city could be “a realistic possibility” if there continues to be an enthusiasm for the NFL. But privately, league executives are overwhelmed by the amount of excitement they have found for the NFL in London and are cautiously optimistic that they have a true base of fans in the UK. One official pulled out a phone and showed a picture he has kept for 2½ years of the throng of people who filled Regent Street in London before one of the 2013 games.

“Not all of those were expats,” he said.

The same official said the next step for the NFL is to gradually push the number of games in London to eight – the amount of home games a team will play in a regular season. The hope is to do this over the next few seasons. If the NFL can sell out eight games in a year, with fans continuing to show the same enthusiasm as they appear to do now, then – he said – the NFL can seriously move toward putting a team in London.

Selling out eight games instead of three is a huge step. A lot has to happen in the next few years. Scheduling eight random games in a season will be hard. Waller said he couldn’t pull together a fourth London game this year because he couldn’t find a team willing to give up a home game. He said he has not approached a team about playing in the UK without a bye but admitted that it will eventually have to happen, even if that test doesn’t come this year.

But the league is at least ready to answer these questions now. The Rams’ move to Los Angeles has freed Goodell to pursue the last big project on his list. Maybe the NFL ultimately decides they can’t put a team in London, but they are moving forward on finally answering whether they can.
-----------
I was in Wales with a group of young to middle-aged Welsh to watch the Giants comeback drive against the then undefeated Patriots in the Feb 2008 Super Bowl, a game regarded by many as one of the greatest ever played. Most of my mates there were pretty passe about the NFL as Rugby is the sport. Still, at 3am they were on the edge of their seats watching the final Giants drive to defeat the Pats. I think they saw where it can be a fantastic game.
----------
I have a hard time seeing this as anything more than a passing fad for Britishers. Which means it will fall to the Expat community to support it in the long-term...are there enough of them?
---------
I met quite a few British NFL fans while living in the UK and they were all older blokes who had been following it for 15 or 20 years. I don't know that its a fad.
-----------
From my experience as an expat living in the UK 6 years it will take some getting used to for the players. Will they blend into the British culture (I did, there were no Americans anywhere where I lived in South Wales) or will they band together and insist they have all American products and only hang with other Americans? Will there be British players as well?

It's an interesting experiment but I'm not at all convinced its all been thought out enough to actually work. The alternative might just be 8 games a season in London like the article mentions.
-----------
What to do with all the players with criminal records? Will the UK allow them in?
----------
We play the NBA in Canada, why not the NFL in London? Besides the obvious logistics issues?
----------
If it ever happens then I would like to see a new team, better than the likes of the jags moving here. It would be better to have our own team, rather than another city's rejects. As for a name I would have British bulldogs. Because we have so many stadiums that could be used I think it's important that Britain is in the name not just London. The NFL would have a unique chance to have a team that represents all of Britain. Which we don't have in any other sport.
----------
Air miles from Seattle to Miami is 2724, and that is the maximum for US teams. Most are much less. From London, most are much further--

To Seattle, 4,800 miles
To Miami, 4,400 miles
To Houston, 4,800 miles

Q729

Legend
The San Diego Super Chargers belong in San Diego. 50+ years. Send the Jags.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
As a fan in Ontario, it annoys me the NFL is so hell-bent on London. Toronto is right next door. The travel logistics are far superior. It is a huge market and bigger than almost every market currently in the NFL... only NY/LA/Chicago are bigger markets in North America.

Although the winter weather is not great Toronto, it is more southern and has better winters than several major Northern U.S. cities e.g. Minnesota.

Support for american football is huge here. Hockey is far and away the #1 sport, but football is also big. I am sure fan support for American football in Ontario dwarfs that of England.

I guess it's all about being a "sexy" option....

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's gonna happen, and it will be the Jags.

Also, if I was Goodell I would start a minor league system in Mexico. They love the NFL brand, it's cheap living down there for minor league contracts that would not pay out that much for the guys in development, and while my preference would be to have a minor league team for each NFL team they could start it at half the size of the NFL and stock the rosters with dev types from two NFL teams for each minor league team to get it off the ground.

South America is an obvious and cost effective path for expansion IMO. NFL needs to get off their high horse and make that happen.

ViennaMax

Rookie
i obv would love to see an nfl team in europe because there would be the serious chance of seeing a game once a year. But i understand that there would be people from citys like stl who would be really pissed.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
We don't want a fucking team. Stop this madness.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I think that Seattle should play there every year, right after their bye week.:mrburnsevil:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I could much sooner see the resurgence of the Euro League than a team over there. The travel and jet lag would just be idiotic for any team to make that hop 10 times a year or for division teams to do it every year. I would definitely lobby against it if I was an owner

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just thank God the LA situation played out as it did, with only London games while we are at the Coliseum. It's just ridiculous to have a team in London, but Goodell is hell bent on doing it...

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
I could much sooner see the resurgence of the Euro League than a team over there. The travel and jet lag would just be idiotic for any team to make that hop 10 times a year or for division teams to do it every year. I would definitely lobby against it if I was an owner
Agree, at some point you have to check your greed and just use some common sense.

Q729

Legend
I would like to see the WLAF come back with the NFL backing they had when they became NFL Europe. That way Europe (and Canada) gets teams, and smaller markets get to have a team they could root for with players from teams they've known for years. I wish the UFL wasn't run by a bunch of crooks. It was a good experience, especially seeing Marty Schottenheimer coach some honest NFL talent. Go Destroyers! Not every decent player makes an NFL roster. So much talent could be showcased in a financially sound minor league. It amazes me that these owners aren't greedy enough to want this!

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agree, at some point you have to check your greed and just use some common sense.

There would be so many issues for tv coverage, I'm not sure why the NFL would want a team there - except as a way to put pressure on local politicians to help fund stadiums, now that LA is off the board.

As was mentioned above, Toronto would be a better option, as would multiple locations in the US.

Keep in mind most of the revenue is from TV - I doubt that a London team would add more TV revenue than just having teams play there 10 or so times a year. But the NFL does want to make sure that the US TV contracts are maxed out.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

As i always say every time they bring this up - it's the beginning of the end.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame

As i always say every time they bring this up - it's the beginning of the end.

How many businesses, out of pure greed, decide to push the envelope so hard that it ends up ruining everything?
Growth and expansion is not always good, sometimes you just need to stay in your own lane and be happy with what you got.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
This is as likely as the NFL back to STL.

Realistically, its not going to happen without expansion.

Also, fuck Goodell. I want to pry out my eyeballs every time I hear him talk.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
This is going to happen, it's not if, but when. The NFL is about one thing MONEY. They just jettisoned the 21st ranked metropolitan area in the US, St. Louis, and are on the verge of letting the 18th ranked, San Diego go. The addition of worldwide markets with huge population centers means additional billions for the owners. I don't think the owners are really concerned with how the players or fans feel about teams playing overseas, as long as it means more money and additional revenue streams it's going to happen. I can see an eventual path to 40 teams with half a dozen being outside the US. We may not like the direction the NFL is heading, but we're not billionaire owners who want more billions.