A Few Austin Stats from PFF

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Pro Football Focus ‏@PFF

Tavon Austin caught nine screen passes for only 15 yards. Gained 32% of his yards on crossing routes, highest % in league

Tavon Austin gained 209 yards on 57 routes run when lined up wide (3.67 yards/route run). Gained 207 yards on 237 routes in slot (0.87 YPRR)

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
Watching the games, it was crystal clear that he was a much better slant or go route guy than screen. The stat is deceiving, in the Y slot he was almost strictly catching bubble type of screens. When he broke out, the slants and such started.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Agreed Elmgrovegnome. These stats aren't surprising and actually confirm what we saw with the "eye" test last year.

Then again - teams were very very committed to stopping him on the screens. They were aware of his ability to break big plays and wanted it stopped. If he gets more of a reputation for busting the top off a defence then the underneath will open up for him.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All he needs is to do is catch the ball and then he becomes supersonic with elusive moves. I still pinch myself that he's a Ram and I'm sure there are other teams GM's that punch themselves for letting us get him at #7. Cards game in AZ, the Cards fans held their breath anytime he touched the ball. He is a touchdown waiting to happen. And he's just a baby.

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
Throw Austin more crossing patterns. I think T. Austin can gain yardage on screens, but our other receivers would have to keep the defense on their heels. That didn't happen last year. Defenses keyed on Austin and Cook up the seam. Once, Zak Stacy hit the stage, that helped. Enter Zak Stacy stage right, exit Sam Bradford stage left. That hurt.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'm not worried about the screen passes. Play design and poor blocking factored in. If someone can post vids you'll see, and I recall thinking this when I saw replays during games. He was boxed in a lot, on an island with defenders all around him. Add in that he was a rookie and you're going to have plays that don't work well.

I'll bet that he breaks some big ones off from screens next year. As elusive in tight space as he is it simply cannot be contained all the time, all he needs is that little bit of space and I think this year he will get that.

Another WR emerging as a threat will also help of course. (that was for you RFIP lol)

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
All he needs is to do is catch the ball and then he becomes supersonic with elusive moves. I still pinch myself that he's a Ram and I'm sure there are other teams GM's that punch themselves for letting us get him at #7. Cards game in AZ, the Cards fans held their breath anytime he touched the ball. He is a touchdown waiting to happen. And he's just a baby.

8th not 7th. :cheers:

tbux

Rookie
Agreed Elmgrovegnome. These stats aren't surprising and actually confirm what we saw with the "eye" test last year.

Then again - teams were very very committed to stopping him on the screens. They were aware of his ability to break big plays and wanted it stopped. If he gets more of a reputation for busting the top off a defence then the underneath will open up for him.

this

fearsomefour

Legend
Poor blocking and design didnt help but if someone gets a hand on him he is stopped. If he gets separation he may be the most exciting player in the league in the open field. I understand the desire to get big plays out of screens as they are low risk. But the effectiveness of WR screens has gone down as everyone made it a staple of their passing game.
This is where the onus returns to Schottenheimer.
Does he have the ability, week in week out, to use the talent that is there ....to balance a power running game with a passing game that best utilizes the talents of Austin, Cook ect?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Poor blocking and design didnt help but if someone gets a hand on him he is stopped. If he gets separation he may be the most exciting player in the league in the open field. I understand the desire to get big plays out of screens as they are low risk. But the effectiveness of WR screens has gone down as everyone made it a staple of their passing game.
Does he have the ability, week in week out, to use the talent that is there ....to balance a power running game with a passing game that best utilizes the talents of Austin, Cook ect?

I agree he isn't hard to bring down and isn't going to break a lot of tackles. But that's OK with me.

TexasRam

Legend
Tavon lead the league in Single handedly detroying the Colts. With a backup QB at the healm.:D

He also lead the league in causing outbursts of opposing defensive coaches screaming "What the hell happened out there?!!"(y)

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I agree he isn't hard to bring down and isn't going to break a lot of tackles. But that's OK with me.

Fine by me as well.
I rarely saw Bruce even get tackled. He would quickly fall to the ground when he knew he was caught.
He had a nice career playing it safe.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Fine by me as well.
I rarely saw Bruce even get tackled. He would quickly fall to the ground when he knew he was caught.
That's how I remember Marshall! That dude was a magician when it came to avoiding contact. So many of those big runs had just subtle little dips in direction, I'd swear he had eyes in the back of his head.

Pro Football Focus ‏@PFF

Tavon Austin caught nine screen passes for only 15 yards. Gained 32% of his yards on crossing routes, highest % in league

Tavon Austin gained 209 yards on 57 routes run when lined up wide (3.67 yards/route run). Gained 207 yards on 237 routes in slot (0.87 YPRR)

Is that good or bad?

V3

Hall of Fame

I was going to put something similar but you said it much better. Well said.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Fine by me as well.

Sometimes when he and Holt did the turf dive I'd get aggravated, I'll admit it LOL.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah - I thought Torry got a little too into avoiding the hits near the end. But who am I to question him after he spent a career getting whacked by NFL DBs.

I'm not concerned about Tavon's inability to break actual tackles or power through them. That is not his game - nor is it the game of many offensive players. That was no doubt partly why Danny could never stay on the field. Toughness is one thing. Living to fight another day is another. I'll take the one yard less if he can get up and line-up for the next play that is potentially a game changer.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Sometimes when he and Holt did the turf dive I'd get aggravated, I'll admit it LOL.

I think the opposing teams defense was even more frustrated. Bruce and Holt would carve them to pieces and those guys could never get a hit on either one of them.