A Better Michael Vick, IMO

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Auburn's Nick Marshall to enter NFL Draft as cornerback

16685265-mmmain.jpg

Auburn quarterback Nick Marshall warms up before the Outback Bowl Thursday, Jan. 1, 2015, at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Fla. (Julie Bennett/ jbennett@al.com) (JULIE BENNETT)
By Brandon Marcello | bmarcello@al.com
Follow on Twitter
on January 20, 2015 at 10:41 AM, updated January 20, 2015 at 12:49 PM

MOBILE, Alabama -- Nick Marshall's days at quarterback are numbered.

The Auburn quarterback will enter the NFL Draft in May as a cornerback after discussing the potential move with his family, he said Tuesday at the Senior Bowl.

Marshall was invited to the Senior Bowl as a quarterback.

"It wasn't difficult because I played cornerback coming up," Marshall said of the decision. "It won't be a hard transition for me to make. It's something that I know if I put my mind to it I can do anything that I want."

NFL scouts have long said Marshall's future in the NFL is at defensive back. He played cornerback during his freshman season at Georgia in 2011 and coaches there believed he had NFL talent at the time. He was booted from the team in early 2012 and transferred to Garden City Community College, where he played quarterback before landing at Auburn.

Marshall said he has trained only at cornerback at EXOS Football in nearby Pensacola in recent weeks.

"It's second nature," he said. "I'm a born natural athlete and it's something that the Lord blessed me with. I'm blessed to have that and I'm going to take full advantage of it.

Auburn's two-year starter at quarterback broke several records and sits in the top 10 of at least eight categories in Auburn's record book. He threw for 4,508 yards and 34 touchdowns with 13 interceptions, and ran for 1,866 yards and 23 touchdowns during his career. He will play quarterback at the Senior Bowl, but is expected to tell coaches he's open to practicing at cornerback if needed.

Auburn's Nick Marshall ready for move to cornerbackAuburn quarterback Nick Marshall is training at cornerback and plans to enter the NFL Draft as a defensive back, a position he hasn't played since 2011 at Georgia. Marshall discusses his decision at the Senior Bowl, where he will play quarterback.
"Whatever they ask, I'm going to do whatever they want me to play," Marshall said. "Like I said, I'm going to go out and make a good impression on them."

Senior Bowl executive director Phil Savage said he was initially interested in bringing Marshall to the all-star game as a defensive back. Marshall was invited in the 11th hour Friday as a quarterback.Savage opined Monday that all 32 NFL teams will show interest in Marshall as a cornerback, though not many are interested in him if he decided to stay at quarterback.

"I don't think he was that interested in doing the defensive back deal here as an initiation in front of all these scouts," said Savage, "and I understand that."

Marshall decided to hold out and enter the Senior Bowl as a quarterback to "get experience and get more exposure." He has not yet talked to NFL teams, but that will come this week.

The Senior Bowl kicks off Saturday at Ladd-Peebles Stadium at 3 p.m. CT on the NFL Network.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/01/auburns_nick_marshall_to_enter.html

Memphis Ram

Legend
Nick Marshall expects to be NFL DB
Updated: January 20, 2015, 3:31 PM ET
Associated Press

MOBILE, Ala. -- Auburn's Nick Marshall expects to be a cornerback in the NFL, even though he's playing quarterback at the Senior Bowl.

Marshall said Tuesday he plans "to finish out as a quarterback" then move to defense after the game. The 6-foot-1, 205-pound Marshall started as a defensive back at Georgia, before getting dismissed from the team.

"I'm coming here to finish out as a quarterback but I've already got my mind made up what position I want to play, and I'm going to move over there," he said.

Marshall said he made the decision after talking to his mother and other family members.

"It wasn't difficult because I played cornerback also coming up," he said. "It won't be a hard transition for me to make. It's something that I know if I put my mind to I can do anything that I want."

Marshall played quarterback at junior college and led Auburn to the national championship game during the 2013 season.

He was a Maxwell Award semifinalist as a senior, passing for 4,508 yards and rushing for 1,866 in two seasons.

Marshall is on the Senior Bowl roster as a quarterback but is open to getting some practice time in the secondary.

"Whatever they ask, I'm going to do whatever they want me to play," Marshall said. "Go out and make a good impression on them."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2015/st...s-qb-nick-marshall-expects-defensive-back-nfl

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Spoken like a good millennial: "I know if I put my mind to I can do anything that I want"...
(except QB apparently)...

I say this just increases the chances the Rams draft him since it's a bizarro-Eric Crouch scenario...

Seriously, it's too bad. I liked him a lot.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You may be right but for now the powers that be ont seem to agree.

They're making a mistake. The fact that a guy like Sean Mannion or Brandon Bridge will get a chance and Marshall won't isn't really fair. But, then again, I have to assume that Marshall realizes he stands a better chance at CB than he does at QB and is making this decision for himself.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
They're making a mistake. The fact that a guy like Sean Mannion or Brandon Bridge will get a chance and Marshall won't isn't really fair. But, then again, I have to assume that Marshall realizes he stands a better chance at CB than he does at QB and is making this decision for himself.

The description in the article makes it sound like he has a lot to work on, and as I said he is late to the QB game. How high do you pick a guy needing that much development? UDFA

He could be a starter at CB for someone in a year or two if not sooner.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The description in the article makes it sound like he has a lot to work on, and as I said he is late to the QB game. How high do you pick a guy needing that much development? UDFA

He could be a starter at CB for someone in a year or two if not sooner.

Well, that's what you do with QBs. You take a chance because of how important of a position it is.

Maybe you strike gold, maybe you don't.

Rams took the same shot on Garrett Gilbert for the same reasons last year and he wasn't as talented as Marshall or as good in college.

I feel bad for the kid because I actually think he has potential at QB if he were developed. The fact that he came to the position so late but managed to really improve during his college career is a good thing to me. But, then again, I don't know if he has the mental acuity necessary for the position. And I can't assess that.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Interesting OP

First tout Nick Marshall as "a better Mike Vick" ...lemme see here, yeah I remember watching Vick at VT, ESPY College player of the year, consensus number 1 overall pick, 4 time Pro Bowl selection, I guess I was on board with Marshall being "better" (I assume you were implying QB) up until the time he decided QB just wasn't his ticket:D

Good stuff Memphis! (love your spirit tho)

Last edited:

WestCoastRam

Legend
I was intrigued by him, can't say I knew too much about him but PFT pointed out that he's just 6'1'' and completed less than 50% of his passes. I just don't think you can develop that low of a completion percentage.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I was intrigued by him, can't say I knew too much about him but PFT pointed out that he's just 6'1'' and completed less than 50% of his passes. I just don't think you can develop that low of a completion percentage.

Actually came in at 6' 1 1/2", is taller than Vick, Brees, Wilson etc. and he completed 60.8% of his passes in 2014.

Memphis Ram

Legend
It's really a shame. Just a short time ago, this kid was dead set on playing QB and now he's "decided" to make the switch because he believes that's his best chance for an NFL payday.

I hate it, but I can't blame him really. Got to put food on the table and do what is best for your family. Another talent potentially wasted due to the lack of creativity of the old hierarchy.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Memphis Ram

Legend
Wonder if PFT is looking at his career stats... their numbers very different.

Don't know. He only played 2 years at Auburn. And he was a CB at Georgia his freshman season.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/550021/nick-marshall

And his completion percentage & TDs would have been ever higher if not for all the drops by Sammie Coats.

EDIT: Just read the PFT piece. The stats you are referring to were by his QB replacement at the Senior Bowl. Guess he didn't get a position switch suggestion.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Actually came in at 6' 1 1/2", is taller than Vick, Brees, Wilson etc. and he completed 60.8% of his passes in 2014.

Taller than I expected. Still had some issues with deflected passes.

But he deserves to play QB more than Bennett(his replacement). Bennett is god awful.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Don't know. He only played 2 years at Auburn. And he was a CB at Georgia his freshman season.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/550021/nick-marshall

And his completion percentage & TDs would have been ever higher if not for all the drops by Sammie Coats.

EDIT: Just read the PFT piece. The stats you are referring to were by his QB replacement at the Senior Bowl. Guess he didn't get a position switch suggestion.

$%@# reading comprehension, it'll be the death of me. (Especially if the sign says, "Don't walk.")

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Look, I'm just saying that I've seen shittier QBs get a shot(Garrett Gilbert for example). I'd give Marshall a shot. Check out this throw:

View: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:11805163

Over 60 yards in the air after avoiding a sack and perfectly placed.

The guy throws a great deep ball, has a huge arm, and is very mobile. The down-side is there are plenty of (fair) questions about his ability to read coverages and his height. Still, there are plenty of other QBs with questions about their ability to read coverages who get a shot. I'd give him a shot purely based on his physical skills. Worst case scenario? Move him to DB or WR.

But...the very same reasons you're arguing FOR Marshall...you've used against Mariota.
???

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But...the very same reasons you're arguing FOR Marshall...you've used against Mariota.
???

Well...yes.

If I were to say, "I like HB B as a developmental HB in the 5th round because despite his lack of pass catching ability, he has speed and the skills as a runner to be a major threat as a runner in the NFL." And, "I don't like HB A in the 1st round because while he's an extremely talented runner, he can't contribute on passing downs."

That would be the same reasons arguing for HB B and arguing against HB A. But it would be valid.

We're talking about Marshall in the late rounds...Mariota is expected to be a top 10 pick. There's a big difference in what you're willing to accept with a late round project and a top 10 pick.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Good for the kid.
No real chance to be a QB, now he gets a chance.
He would be a asset as a gadget guy if he can make the team as a CB.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
Marshall may go into the draft listed as DB but what's to stop a team (like the Rams) from trying him out at QB as well. I cold see Snead and the Rams taking a flyer on him in the fifth round. I think Snead has an advantage (not bias) when it comes assessing former Auburn players than other GMs due his ties to the university.