5-2 defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
And Clowney.

QUINN - CLOWNEY - BROCKERS - LANGFORD - LONG
QUINN - LANGFORD - BROCKERS - LONG - CLOWNEY
Jeez what a formidable line.

The issues are obvious though. You'd need Laurinaitis and Ogletree (I suppose) as the two LB's, and I think that would work out okay, as they both have good (borderline great) lateral movement. The problem is obviously the defensive backfield and the gaping holes at LCB and FS at the moment. If the Rams had corners who excelled at press coverage, there would be zero chance that a QB would have more than a nanosecond to make a decision with the ball in passing situations.

And like a La Canfora article, this will never happen. Just thought it would be beastly anyway.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Makes you drool just wanting to see it in action. Not sure I want it more than other scenarios but I sure would like to watch it play out in a couple pre-season games at least - maybe against.... oh... I dunno... Seattle and San Fran?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I put this out there a couple weeks ago. Haha. If you draft Clowney you have to run a 5-2 defense.
He'd be our 3rd DE in rotation otherwise... i'm not cool with that.

Alan

Legend
Clowney, Ha-Ha and the best CB in the second round could make that work. Of course we'd still have no O-line but maybe we could win with points put up every game from turnovers by the D.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
You don't need an OLine.
Just put Clowney at QB and let him go to work.

With all of his athleticism and upside I see no reason that this wouldn't work.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
You don't need an OLine.
Just put Clowney at QB and let him go to work.

With all of his athleticism and upside I see no reason that this wouldn't work.
Hell. He could throw the ball to himself in the endzone.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
We can put Clowney in at FB for short yardage situations. Or even kicker if Young GZ gets hurt, like how the Lions used Suh haha

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
With that speed he could probably get deeper than most of our WR's.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Put Clowney in the slot. He faster than a lot of nickle CB's and bigger than most TE's.
On D. as long as we have Quinn, Ogletree and Clowney on the field at the same time not much they can't run down.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
With that speed he could probably get deeper than most of our WR's.
No Kidding.
Givens and Austin are faster, but after that..... That's freaking scary. Press cover him if you dare. Talk about a big bodied WR.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Actually, I think GW is creative enough to still run a 4-3 with Clowney sometimes at LB and sometimes with Long or Clowney at DT. A luxury pick that might change the face of how Ds play in the NFL.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
IMO we don't have the luxury of picking a player at #2 that will have to be rotated or experimented with. Picking a guy like Robinson is different. He can immediately be plugged in at Guard and succeed there until a spot opens up at Tackle.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
It would be a crazy defensive scheme where offenses would have to change how they play in order to compensate for it. They would have to have 2 TE formations or possibly bring in a RB/FB just to block. At the least, it would force them to play out of the shotgun more often than they probably want to. Patching our DB holes would be critical but it might actually be an effective move.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Haha this give me a wet dream! 85 Bear 5-2 d move over.... Here comes the "Greatest Can of Whoop Ass on Turf"

A55VA6

Legend
D-line could be unbelievable with a guy like Clowney in the mix. Quinn and Clowney pass rushing off the same side would be a nightmare for offenses. I hope Houston takes a QB at 1 because if they do I think Clowney is ours unless we get a RG3 type deal.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
D-line could be unbelievable with a guy like Clowney in the mix. Quinn and Clowney pass rushing off the same side would be a nightmare for offenses. I hope Houston takes a QB at 1 because if they do I think Clowney is ours unless we get a RG3 type deal.
When? On 3rd and long only? Who do you sit? Just asking questions...:)

Alan

Legend
Frankly, I think our D-line is already something special with Quinn, Hayes, Brockers, Langford, Long. We don't need no Clown to be awesome.
upload_2014-4-14_19-22-17.jpeg

Last edited:

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I really can't say who, but if the Rams take Clowney or somehow get Mack in a trade down those guys are staying on the field. Having a mad scientist as DC will help.

A55VA6

Legend
3rd and long, clear passing situations. Some teams use an all DE line out there on occasion. We could do Long, Hayes, Clowney, Quinn. Or instead of Hayes, have Brockers at DT with Long, Clowney, and Quinn. There's a few different combinations and rotations you can do with the d-line.

A lot of talk that Houston is going with Clowney.. if so, Rams sit pretty if anyone wants to trade up to secure the QB they want.