49ers before and after Garoppolo

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
JAX has a very up and down defense. They will give up 3 points one week and 42 the next week.
That San Fran game was a goofy game. Jimmy G has a sick TD pass on the run in that game, but other than that, he had little impact in the high score. Bortles threw a pick 6 and on the last 2 TD "drives" for San Fran, Garopolo threw 0 passes, it was all runs but Brieda and Hyde

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Scary good statistics.

I am admittedly a little nervous.
I still can't believe New England didn't keep him.
He looked like a natural to me.

New England is now going to go through a quarterback drought like every other team has to. :D

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Pretty wild that one guy matters that much.
QB's really do decide wins and losses....a good one can change your fate. For better, or worse.

QBR is the WORST stat in the history of the NFL.

Thought a lot about this over the last few weeks...QBR....who made it up...is it relevant?

You know Bill Polian....Those other potential GM's...Lou Riddick, Jim Trotter, Phil Savage, and Mark Domminick...they use that stat too...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_quarterback_rating

Total quarterback rating (abbreviated as total QBR or simply QBR) is a proprietary statistic created by ESPN in 2011 to measure the performance of quarterbacks in American football. It incorporates all of a quarterback’s contributions to winning, including how he impacts the game on passes, rushes, turnovers, and penalties. Since QBR is built from the play level, it accounts for a team’s level of success or failure on every play to provide the proper context, then allocates credit to the quarterback and his teammate to produce a clearer measure of quarterback efficiency. It was created to be a more meaningful alternative to the passer rating but has been met with criticism among fans and commentators alike.

Total QBR was developed by a team at ESPN Stats & Information Group including Jeff Bennett, Dean Oliver, Alok Pattani, Albert Larcada, and Menlo College professor Ben Alamar. The group also received input from ESPN analysts Trent Dilfer, Jon Gruden, and Ron Jaworski. Total QBR was developed based on analysis of 60,000 NFL plays between 2008-2010, and was unveiled on August 5, 2011.[1] The formula was modified in 2012 and again in 2013.[2][3]

There are six steps to building QBR:[4]

• Each QB "action play" (passes, rushes, sacks, scrambles, or penalties attributable to the QB) are measured in terms of the expected points added (EPA)
  • Adjust for the difficulty of each play. EPA is adjusted based on the type and depth of a pass, and whether the QB was pressured.
  • If there is a completion, he only is credited for the typical number of yards after the catch (passer rating takes all yards into effect) based on the type and depth of the pass
  • There is a discount on trash time, or a time where the score is out of reach near the end of the game.
  • Opponent adjustment: More credit is given with tougher defenses and vice versa.
  • QBR averages the adjusted EPA per play and transforms it to a 0 to 100 scale, with 50 being average.

Never been much of a stat guy...eyes guy...but from watching baseball, I got to appreciate all attempts at making stats relevant...some stats are more relevant than others....esp. depending on who's eyes are using them...I kinda don't agree with stuff from PFF....sometimes...but I must admit, they do get things correct...in MY eyes....same with QBR. In fact, I agree with more of what QBR says than PFF....but still, the final test is the eyes.

Ram65

Legend
Give him 25 Million a year. With those numbers his agent should get him 30 Million a year. Whiners going to have to pay up or lose him.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
His hype level is through the roof. he will get overpaid then thrown like meat into the Aaron Donald cage. That rack of teeth will never smile again.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Dude's, I'm sorry, but Garopp, throws a lot of bad passes. He may improve, but he doesn't scare me anyhow. The only accurate thing to come from this article, was the QBR stat....Jimmy is the number 1 ranked QB, based on his stats.....STUPID.

How you get the highest QBR in the league this year, with his TD to INT %...just stupid. QBR is the WORST stat in the history of the NFL.

He gets it because the QBR is a total BS stat. (After all it was concocted by BSpn)
It actually rewards QB’s for mediocre/bad play.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I still believe that the cheating bastards would never have traded him if they believed he was capable of taking over for Brady. They would have kept him no matter what if they really believed in him.

Period.

The whiners got hosed. The truth will reveal itself when he has to perform in games that have actual meaning.

Could they afford it?

And, Garapolo may have wanted to go elsewhere to be a starter.

What would be funny is if Brady gets injured or he suddenly starts showing decline and NE suddenly needs a QB. Maybe they'll be able to trade for Bradford in that case. It seems to be his role these days.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Could they afford it?

Afford it you ask???

Well,,, ask a team who doesn't have a quality QB how much they'd be willing to pay for one. The answer will be "As much as I have to". Because without one... your team is just a victim for others.

You can't really win in the NFL without a quality QB... and there aren't 32 of them on the planet. When you get your hands one 1, you do whatever it takes to keep him. Overpaying for his services is required and expected.

The cheaters know that Tom Terrific's playing days are numbered. They are never in cap hell. If they felt that they were in possession of a second All Pro quality QB right now... they would have paid a very high price to make sure nobody else could have him. There would be no concern for the money. They could easily find the cap space and would be happy to use it on the unimaginable luxury of having 2 All Pro NFL QBs in their stable. Especially knowing that one of them is very close to retirement.

I'm convinced that they were not sold on that new whiner QB. Maybe I'm wrong... and all the drama stories about Brady throwing a temper tantrum are true and they traded the future of their franchise to make sure his liddle biddy feelings didn't get hurt. I call total bs on that though.

You pay whatever it takes to secure the most important position in the game. WHATEVER it takes.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
Garappolo is absolutely GUARANTEED to win every single game he ever plays in.

There you go. I just jinxed him.

You’re welcome.

Giving him a big fat multi-year contract will also jinx him (he'll contract a rare disease known as Scott Mitchell syndrome).

Come on, 9ers -- make it rain on Jimmy GQ!

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Overhyped
Two picks against 2nd stringers and all short passes. I'll take Goff

bluecoconuts

Legend
Turns the ball over a lot for someone who's sat and studied behind pretty much the best QB in NFL history for years.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And, Garapolo may have wanted to go elsewhere to be a starter.
It was pretty widely reported for quite some time that GrabMyPole wanted to play. I think as long as it seemed that the transition from Brady to him was in some focus, he was willing to stick around in NE. Time and Brady's insistence that he could play for quite some time more changed that.

I'm convinced that they were not sold on that new whiner
I read a few places that multiple people in the NE organization believed GrabMyPole was very talented and thought he'd do really well when given the chance.

Maybe I'm wrong... and all the drama stories about Brady throwing a temper tantrum are true and they traded the future of their franchise to make sure his liddle biddy feelings didn't get hurt. I call total bs on that though.
My take:
GrabMyPole was willing to be somewhat patient as the heir apparent to Brady, provided it didn't linger too long. As more time went by and Brady wasn't showing much deterioration, I think GrabMyPole became more insistent on a trade. It was always about playing to him.

Then, when this whole mess came out about Brady... and Bellichick... and Brady's savant... it made sense to me.

GrabMyPole wanted to play... Brady wasn't going to acquiesce any time soon (said he wanted to play like 4 more years)... that was it... GrabMyPole made a stink and Bellichick gave in to Brady and they traded him to SF (supposedly because they respected Shanahan??).

Funny this is... they have no real back-up now... Hoyer?

The whole thing was pretty un-NE-like. They always seem to have a back-up plan... that's why I believe a lot of the story about Brady-Bellichick-Kraft and how GrabMyPole was traded.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
It was pretty widely reported for quite some time that GrabMyPole wanted to play. I think as long as it seemed that the transition from Brady to him was in some focus, he was willing to stick around in NE. Time and Brady's insistence that he could play for quite some time more changed that.

I read a few places that multiple people in the NE organization believed GrabMyPole was very talented and thought he'd do really well when given the chance.

My take:
GrabMyPole was willing to be somewhat patient as the heir apparent to Brady, provided it didn't linger too long. As more time went by and Brady wasn't showing much deterioration, I think GrabMyPole became more insistent on a trade. It was always about playing to him.

Then, when this whole mess came out about Brady... and Bellichick... and Brady's savant... it made sense to me.

GrabMyPole wanted to play... Brady wasn't going to acquiesce any time soon (said he wanted to play like 4 more years)... that was it... GrabMyPole made a stink and Bellichick gave in to Brady and they traded him to SF (supposedly because they respected Shanahan??).

Funny this is... they have no real back-up now... Hoyer?

The whole thing was pretty un-NE-like. They always seem to have a back-up plan... that's why I believe a lot of the story about Brady-Bellichick-Kraft and how GrabMyPole was traded.

I hope that the drama stories are true with them. If so, their run of leading the pack is over.

Looking at their history... those fucking cheaters always get rid of good players a year or 2 before they are in decline and get out of having to pay big money when the player's skill set isn't what it once was. Shrewd has been the name of their game.

If we are to believe all the drama stories... well, that means that the cheaters have changed their formula for success for 1 player. A player who is definitely going to be declining... he's over 40 ffs... I don't care how much HGH he's taking... he is on the decline.

I hope that they gave away their future just to coddle Tommy Boy's wants. That would just be so awesome. I don't believe it for a minute though. The decision makers there don't EVER answer questions directly... much less cave because of a player's wants... they always conduct their business shrewdly and in private. Nobody knows anything about what the decision makers really think there... it's like Fort Knox up there.

Anyway... it's my belief that if they believed in GrabMyPole... he would never have been allowed outside of the walls of their cult. No way.

Think of Joe Montana. Did the whiners trade Young to a coach they respected so that they could make one more run to the playoffs with Old Man Joe... or did they let the chiefs deal with his swan song?

I just don't believe they had real faith in GrabMyPole. It's just that simple. Plus... if my suspicions are correct... the whiners got fucked.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope that they gave away their future just to coddle Tommy Boy's wants.
Yeah... who really knows what they're up to... but, I do believe that - if there was anyone in that organization that could dictate what goes on - it's Brady. I'm not discounting that possibility at all.

I just don't believe they had real faith in GrabMyPole. It's just that simple. Plus... if my suspicions are correct... the whiners got freaked.
Like I said, I heard or read reports that NE really liked GrabMyPole... but, I hope you are right because that makes for two good things:
1] SF won't be nearly as good as they were the last few games
2] If Brady goes down, NE is S-C-R-E-W-E-D :LOL:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Yeah... who really knows what they're up to... but, I do believe that - if there was anyone in that organization that could dictate what goes on - it's Brady. I'm not discounting that possibility at all.

Like I said, I heard or read reports that NE really liked GrabMyPole... but, I hope you are right because that makes for two good things:
1] SF won't be nearly as good as they were the last few games
2] If Brady goes down, NE is S-C-R-E-W-E-D :LOL:

Hahahahaha

Hopefully both teams were fucked... but if not... one of them definitely was. So it's still a win!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Afford it you ask???

Well,,, ask a team who doesn't have a quality QB how much they'd be willing to pay for one. The answer will be "As much as I have to". Because without one... your team is just a victim for others.

You can't really win in the NFL without a quality QB... and there aren't 32 of them on the planet. When you get your hands one 1, you do whatever it takes to keep him. Overpaying for his services is required and expected.

The cheaters know that Tom Terrific's playing days are numbered. They are never in cap hell. If they felt that they were in possession of a second All Pro quality QB right now... they would have paid a very high price to make sure nobody else could have him. There would be no concern for the money. They could easily find the cap space and would be happy to use it on the unimaginable luxury of having 2 All Pro NFL QBs in their stable. Especially knowing that one of them is very close to retirement.

I'm convinced that they were not sold on that new whiner QB. Maybe I'm wrong... and all the drama stories about Brady throwing a temper tantrum are true and they traded the future of their franchise to make sure his liddle biddy feelings didn't get hurt. I call total bs on that though.

You pay whatever it takes to secure the most important position in the game. WHATEVER it takes.

I was clearly referring to the salary cap. Keeping two highly paid ANd on a roster is not anything we have seen to date that I recall. Jimmy wants to start and looks capable, so why would he accept less to sit behind Brady for five more years? As a backup he would be leaving millions on the table and what competitor chooses to sit on the bench contently? The Patriots were prepared to roll with JimmyG. They traded away the younger placeholder to prve it. But, it didn't make sense to hold onto JimmyG u less they felt they were prepared to end things with Tom m in a year or two tops. They had to trade him if They were sticking with Brady. Liking or not liking Garapolo had nothing to do with it. It was all about Brady. Garapolo would leave as a free agent and the Patriots would sit empty handed.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The one thing I hate about the kid, spelling his name. I can never remember how many p's, r's and L's his name has. Kinda frustrating for a former Central Union School district spelling champion.

goosekilla

UDFA
Name
Jeremy
We have Goff and a lot of you guys are slobbering over Jimmy G, who can't complete a pass longer than 20 yards, not to mention is the quarterback of the niners! I just had to do a double take to make sure I was on RAMSondemand.com