3 NFL games in London next season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Leg son, British only has one T. Please get it right in the future.

Does that mean my Brittish Knights are Chinese knock offs??

BRITTISH KNIGHTS_edited-1.jpg

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
It's simple why the NFL likes going to London. They make millions of dollars more playing a game there than they do in a teams home stadium.

First off Wembley is bigger than most any NFL stadium (over 90K) so ticket sales are sky high, plus it's a "premium" event like a concert so ticket prices are higher than they are in the USA.

So lets say it's a home game for the Rams versus Seattle. There are more seats, about 25K more, and the prices are much higher. So the two teams split a WAY bigger pot. Plus IIRC the Rams would get the $$$ from the suites, which is huge, plus the NFL makes a ton because everyone that goes is buying souvenirs and tons of gear at a way higher rate than a regular game in the USA and they are paying a way higher price.

Now add in TV money from a local network, then inside the stadium advertising and concessions and all the rest.

A few years back I thought I had heard that teams make about 30 mil more in a London game than in a regular US game.

It's the money, I don't think there are any serious plans to expand there. The plan is to keep cashing checks. If they move a team there the "special event" feeling goes away.

Do they actually pack the stadium? Concert tickets and NFL tickets are very comparable for what I've seen, too.

…..

Legend
Let's just say it didn't take much for me to figure you out. And you are clearly unsure of what to think of me. I couldn't help but notice.... mate.

Jolly good, ole' chap! Cheerio. (y)

Are you actually interested in the subject or are you simply on a point/counter point mission with insults for the Brits and the impending demise of a $ hungry NFL as your platform?

If your intentions are merely to "be right" and "figure me out", then I'm afraid I'd have more success trying to understand a brick wall.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Can we please stop with the personal attacks? :stop: Of course we can or this thread will be locked. Love - Mother Hen.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Do they actually pack the stadium? Concert tickets and NFL tickets are very comparable for what I've seen, too.

The 4 games in 2015 are already sold out, and the tickets are high priced.

The British pound is worth about a dollar and a half right now. Tickets at the NFL games are 40 pounds (and not many of that price) to 500 pounds. Most are in the 75-200 pound range. When you do the math you can see that's WAY more than even the most expensive tickets in the USA are. And remember Wembley is a 90K seat stadium, bigger than anything the NFL plays in by 10K-35K seats.

Suites are probably going for 3-5 times what they would in the USA too and I'm sure corporations are lining up to get them to entertain clients.

And when you look at the teams playing you'll wonder why anyone would bother to pay anything to see those games.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Are you actually interested in the subject or are you simply on a point/counter point mission with insults for the Brits and the impending demise of a $ hungry NFL as your platform?

If your intentions are merely to "be right" and "figure me out", then I'm afraid I'd have more success trying to understand a brick wall.

You gotta look at it this way, I'll help you. I stated my original post several weeks ago. My initial goal was to proclaim the knee-jerk reaction and get some grins. It was hyperbole but it was true too. It was what most fans that have their teams play over there feel but don't say. Why did I say? Because so many can relate to it. And it was much truer at the time.

Now some time later when NFL expansion is a hot topic and nothing is being ruled out, you guys act as a bunch of coyotes that just found an old dead cow. But I don't expect you to apply comic timing because you would rather argue than laugh.

And you are not gonna convince me most Brits know NFL football. There is a reason stereotypes exist and an exception at the same time. You can figure the rest out on your own. I've never liked repeating myself. You should be grateful but I doubt you will. I know a great counsellor, BTW. Maybe he can help you with your anger and then you can learn to be much more cheerful.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
I say bring back NFL Europe. That way European fans can have NFL and not have to stay up really late to watch it. No teams here will have to lose any home games. There would be football to watch when the NFL season here is over. Plus teams here could send players there to get experience. It could be a version of the minor leagues like it was in the past.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
The 4 games in 2015 are already sold out, and the tickets are high priced.

The British pound is worth about a dollar and a half right now. Tickets at the NFL games are 40 pounds (and not many of that price) to 500 pounds. Most are in the 75-200 pound range. When you do the math you can see that's WAY more than even the most expensive tickets in the USA are. And remember Wembley is a 90K seat stadium, bigger than anything the NFL plays in by 10K-35K seats.

Suites are probably going for 3-5 times what they would in the USA too and I'm sure corporations are lining up to get them to entertain clients.

And when you look at the teams playing you'll wonder why anyone would bother to pay anything to see those games.

Makes you wonder if they are enjoying more than Rugby, which I find boring compared to the NFL. But granted I have only seen glimpses of it. It's like a clustered mess. NFL is very organized.

They did have an NFLE but it was ultimately unsuccessful.

But they all know how big the Super Bowl is and they only get to go to three games a year unless they fly over here. It makes sense.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
You gotta look at it this way, I'll help you. I stated my original post several weeks ago. My initial goal was to proclaim the knee-jerk reaction and get some grins. It was hyperbole but it was true too. It was what most fans that have their teams play over there feel but don't say. Why did I say? Because so many can relate to it. And it was much truer at the time.

Now some time later when NFL expansion is a hot topic and nothing is being ruled out, you guys act as a bunch of coyotes that just found an old dead cow. But I don't expect you to apply comic timing because you would rather argue than laugh.

And you are not gonna convince me most Brits know NFL football. There is a reason stereotypes exist and an exception at the same time. You can figure the rest out on your own. I've never liked repeating myself. You should be grateful but I doubt you will. I know a great counsellor, BTW. Maybe he can help you with your anger and then you can learn to be much more cheerful.

Very witty and sarcastic at the same time.
You must be British

…..

Legend

Yeah uhm....ok. Carry on with whatever it is you are doing without me then. Pardon the intrusion, I'll never get the minutes back but at least I learned a lesson on your entertainment needs. ;)

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Yeah uhm....ok. Carry on with whatever it is you are doing without me then. Pardon the intrusion, I'll never get the minutes back but at least I learned a lesson on your entertainment needs. ;)

:ROFLMAO: :LOL: (y)

Jolly good, ole' chap! Good show.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Fans in England are just as or more educated and familiar with the NFL as I am - that's for sure - and I've been to every game in Anaheim Stadium with the exception of a few
I know just as much as some UK fans about Arsenal and West Brom and have a better grasp of the game than I do the NFL game - and I'm American
I say 3 teams in England would be really cool

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
vwsxw2.jpg

Let's shift our attention away from the British and turn towards the Germans. Since I was born there from German parents and that is my native language, I can hopefully make snarky remarks without being accused of Germaphobia(is that a word?) :snicker: We did win the last World Cup so there's that. :banana:

2vruz2d.jpg

Here's an article from last season on NFL interest in Germany. Der Artikel gefallen und gut zu sein. :sneaky:

http://www.dw.de/nfl-set-for-most-popular-season-yet-and-germany-leads-european-support/a-17905146

NFL set for most popular season yet, and Germany leads European support
With four representatives in the NFL and a lasting impact from a now disbanded NFL Europe, Germany are Europe’s biggest American football fans. DW's Jonathan Harding tracks the growth of the gridiron in Germany.

The most recent Super Bowl (number 48) was watched by approximately 82,500 people in the MetLife Stadium in New Jersey, while 111.5 million Americans tuned in from the comfort of their sofas. It was the most-watched event in US television history, beating the previous record set by none other than the previous Super Bowl.

Whisper it quietly, but American football is becoming trendy beyond the borders of its fame. Long has the Super Bowl been a reason to host late-night parties and purchase quirky logo-related merchandise.

Now though, along with knowing the latest death on Game of Thrones, knowing who beat the Dallas Cowboys last weekend is threatening to become cool. Global interest in the National Football League (NFL) is beginning to extend beyond the sport's grand February finale.

This week that interest is set to peak all over again as NFL fans this side of the Atlantic finally welcomed in the 2014/15 season during the early hours of Friday morning. The current Super Bowl champions Seattle Seahawks dominated the Green Bay Packers 36-16. With the new season comes the undeniable fact that outside of US borders, that committed, often sleep-reducing support is starting to spread. America's Game, which begins en masse this weekend, looks set to enjoy its most popular season of international interest.

It's not been without its hiccups though. The game itself has struggled to gain traction because of two leading principles. Firstly, because the games last too long. An average encounter can last anywhere between three to four hours, with the Super Bowl effectively being an all-nighter for most Europeans. Part of the reason the games aren't over in 90 minutes - football has seemingly set the bar for just the right amount of sports-related entertainment - is because the game is stop-start.

This can be a stumbling block when it comes to attracting new fans, something that is made worse by the fact that advertising - very much a part of modern sport - has seized on these breaks to increase revenue. According to US broacasting company FOX, four million US dollars was the price for a 30 second advert in Super Bowl 48. The barrage of truck adverts is sadly simply part of the game.

The second principle that struggles to entice is the rule set. The confusion starts with the fact there are three parts to each team - an offense, a defense and a special teams. Add to that the numerous sets of on-screen changing and ticking numbers, flying red and yellow flags and referee explanations, and even the most modern of television viewers struggles to stay excited.

German influence key

Despite these hurdles, that excitement seems to have the legs in Germany. Eric Böhm, online editor at Sport1 and a US sports expert, argues that four Germans are largely responsible for the increase in gridiron popularity in Germany.

Björn Werner (Indianapolis Colts), Sebastian Vollmer (New England Patriots), Markus Kuhn (New York Giants) and Kasim Edebali (New Orleans Saints) all play in the NFL, the pinnacle of American football.

"Having four players in the NFL makes a big difference - Vollmer and Werner in particular as they play important roles in the team. Edebali has been good in preseason and the Saints coaches are excited about him featuring in special teams. But it's Werner who is really Germany's ambassador (for the sport)," said Böhm to DW.

All have caused a stir back home, none more so than Werner.

Having impressed in a show game in the US, he received numerous college offers before deciding on Florida State. He wasted no time there and was elected in the first round of the 2013 draft by the Indianapolis Colts. This year, Werner has become an experienced, leading part of the Colts defense.

The birth of the pigskin in Germany

Having been briefly introduced to the shape of an American football after the Second World War, Germany all but forgot about the sport until the late 1970s. In 1979, the first domestic season was played in Germany, and in Dusseldorf Sportverein 04's stadium, 4,400 fans watched Frankfurt's Lions rout Dusseldorf's Panthers 38-0. The Lions went on to win the first German Bowl at the end of the year, and by 1981 Germany had an international team (beating Italy 12-6 in their first ever game).

Björn Werner being drafted in the first round by the Colts contributed hugely to Germany's affection for the game

A year later the AFVD - Germany's American football association - was created. Just shy of a decade after that, America joined the party, launching NFL Europe. After a failed attempt in the 1970s, the US finally felt Europe was ready for American football and, using NFL Europe, tried to promote the game in a league system including European teams.

The glitz, glamour and glory of NFL support led to a boom of popularity during the mid 90s. After name changes, financial losses and decreasing interest from the US though, the league folded in 2007, with Germany the only winners. They had the most teams in the league (five), hosted seven World Bowls (the Super Bowl equivalent) and won the trophy the most often (Frankfurt Galaxy claimed four titles). In short, NFL Europe might as well have been called NFL Germany.

And so out of the seeds of this sporting love affair grew a fan base. NFL Europe may have fallen by the wayside, but the German Football League (GFL) was born - hauling in 360,000 fans in the 2000 season - and with it an informed and sustainable coaching staff.

Garrett Andrews, wide receiver for the Kiel Baltic Hurricanes, is one of the leading players in the GFL and, as an American who made the leap across the Atlantic after leaving Middle Tennessee State University, Andrews has experienced the growth first hand.

"I'm starting to see the NFL becoming more and more popular overseas and it's very exciting! Whether it's a person wearing a hat or just a shirt, it's still cool. I know that NFL Europe wasn't as successful as it could have been, but I'm positive that if they brought it back it would be for good," said Andrews to DW.

For all of the aforementioned hurdles, the sport's "big hits, long runs and spectacular catches" have sparked intrigue. According to Andrews, it's the part of the game "people love so much!"

"Slowly but surely, people are enjoying the game more and more, which is helping the growth of the GFL as well," added the wide receiver.

The GFL remains Europe's best American football league and gives players like Andrews the chance to "play the game they love" and give "guys in Germany a chance to face better talent and get a comparison to what's its like to play in the US."

Andrews believes some of his German teammates "could easily start" for his college team back home - the step many dream of making.

Werner has already taken that step and is loving every minute. The 24-year-old linebacker recently offered two Facebook fans the chance for an all expenses paid trip to meet him and watch the Indianapolis Colts live. For Germany, he's the Dirk Nowitzki of American football. Even Spiegel have sat up and taken notice.

For all the marketing in the world, you can't beat poster boys. Germany drew a great deal from NFL Europe, but without Werner and co. that interest would have likely stagnated.

Wembley Stadium in London, England has hosted three NFL regular season games since late 2007, but the country remains starless. Former Olympian Lawrence Okoye trained with the San Francisco 49ers and was involved this pre-season, but was cut from the final 53-man roster.

Hope turns to Manchester-born Menelik Watson, who was drafted by the Oakland Raiders in round two of the 2013 draft. The offensive lineman is set to become a starter this season.

Big media interest

An NFL spokesperson agreed that “a continued increase in interest from the German market” was down to the German players in the league, but added “engagement through proliferating digital platforms” has also been a factor.

The games at Wembley, social media platforms and licensed product sales have also contributed to Germany being one of the “strongest markets in the world from a media perspective.”

A “double digit year-on-year growth on digital platforms including nfl.com” proves the sport has successfully harnessed technology to promote its brand.

From Werner to games in Europe, fans now feel closer to the NFL, and that's got broadcasters and sponsors making moves. “Many of the league's international sponsors are now looking to expand their rights more broadly,” added the NFL spokesperson.

"The likes of AB InBev, Microsoft, Bose and Visa have recently signed deals with rights that include Germany, and we expect more partners to follow suit.”

In August 2013, German television channel Sport1 created a new channel solely for the broadcasting of American sports - Sport1 US. Until 2015, they have the rights to show seven games a week, including the playoffs, the Pro Bowl and the Super Bowl.

The Seattle Seahawks are vying to become the first side in a decade to return to the dance (one of the Super Bowl's many nicknames) and be victorious. Björn Werner is hoping to become the first ever German to win a Super Bowl. Whoever comes out on top, you can be sure Germany will be watching.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
You make me sick, never talk to me again :-(
Buuuut buuuut on March 22nd it was 2-1! Lol jk

I don't actually have a team but I'm here in Northern Ireland and my friends I've made here are Liverpool fans and can't stand Man U so I figured that'll get you with bait! Lol
They trying to convert the 'Anerican' to a real team so we going in two weeks to Liverpool to start my fandom.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I say bring back NFL Europe. That way European fans can have NFL and not have to stay up really late to watch it. No teams here will have to lose any home games. There would be football to watch when the NFL season here is over. Plus teams here could send players there to get experience. It could be a version of the minor leagues like it was in the past.

It lost too much money and wasn't funneling talent into the NFL so it went bye bye. It'll probably never get resurrected.

Alan

Legend
flv forgetting what the root of all happiness is:
Not the way I was looking for this thread to go. Nationalistic stereotyping is a bit pointless. The more interesting things were the Rams giving up a home game to come back to Wembley should the team move. Should the Rams stadium, (wherever it ends up being), be awarded a Super Bowl the Rams would give up another home game to come to Wembley. Should the NFL play a game in Germany it will likely escalate into 4+ games being in Germany as the market there is bigger than it is in Britain. Within a few years every team might be playing 1 game outside the US every year.
I think the owners, in general, are more interested in the short term profit gain and name exposure (which will lead to increased long term profit gains) than they are in losing a theoretical "home field advantage" for that game. As we all know, money is the root of all happiness.

I just thought I'd add in the fact that the tax situation for both the teams and the players is probably going to be part of the enticement.

Last edited:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

If it makes financial sense multiple games out of the country are possible and sensible.

It happens with soccer all over the world doesn't it?

As long as the Rams win when they go overseas I'm fine with it, otherwise it's a stupid fucking idea. :whistle:

RhodyRams

well hung member
Rams On Demand Sponsor
SportsBook Bookie
I went to see the Rams in Wembley in 2012 with my wife. I was one of the best vacations that I ever had(except for the game) and we have had soe good ones. Met my buddy Mark over there, who is also a diehard Rams fan, and picked us up at the airport, showed us all around the city of London off the beaten path, a couple neighbourhood pubs and got to see his first American football game Also met a friend Scott and his fiance(now wife) from Edinburgh Scotland , also diehard Ram fans. Partied and drank with all of em the day before and the day of the game

I would go again if the Rams were to play there, but have to go to Ireland first, thats next on the list