2016 Perfect Eagles Scenario Dream Mock.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
In this mock, the Eagles finish last (but Bradford plays 50% of the snaps) and we win the Super Bowl. This is a perfect (unrealistic) mock scenario.

Re-sign - Brian Quick (one year), Cory Harkey (one year), Daren Bates (one year), Benny Cunningham (one year), Greg Zuerlein, Rodney McLeod (two years).

Extend - Michael Brockers, T.J. McDonald.

Restructure - Chris Long, James Laurinaitis.

Key Losses - Janoris Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson, William Hayes, Eugene Sims, Nick Fairley, Kenny Britt (one year option), Tim Barnes.

Draft

1. Emmanuel Ogbah, DE, Oklahoma State. (Absolutely LOVE this kid at left end, and he's a perfect compliment.)
2 (Eagles). Scooby Wright III, LB, Arizona. (Like Aaron Donald, you take talent where you can find it, regardless of need.)
2. Ricky Seals-Jones, WR, Texas A&M. (Big, fast, needs work on routes. Let him learn from Bruce and Holt, and this kid will dominate like a lesser Megatron/Mike Evans lovechild.)
3. Briean Boddy-Calhoun, CB, Minnesota. (Small, plays tenacious run defense, amazing playmaker.)
4. Wayne Lyons, CB, Michigan. (Could eventually play free safety or outside cornerback, just an overall solid player.)
6. Evan Boehm, C, Missouri. (One of the best centers, struggles with injuries and lack of athleticism knocks him down this far.)

Thoughts would be much appreciated.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Too early in the year for me to have any thoughts. But I don't think we let all those guys walk. I feel like we'll keep one of Jenkins/Johnson (likely Jenkins) and I don't see us letting Britt go. Although, I guess it's a possibility if Stedman and Tavon both step up this year.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Key Losses - Janoris Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson, William Hayes, Eugene Sims, Nick Fairley, Kenny Britt (one year option), Tim Barnes.

No no no, that is too many core players let go. Hayes is playing way too good to just let go and the guy loves Fisher. They will get a deal done. Simms is also way too good as a rotation guy to just let walk and he also likes where he is at. Then, letting both JJ and Tru walk? That descimates the DB corp. Coming back from a Lis Franc injury usually is a tough one. EJ may not be ready to play in the beginning of next season. The only one in that bunch that probably walks for sure is Fairley, maybe Britt. They can't let Barnes go unless he sucks this year. Maybe they let JJ go if he continues to have issues with assignments.

I agree with Jrry that it is a bit too early to digest the draft picks. However if the Rams allow both JJ and Tru to walk then they better be picking a corner before rounds 3 and 4. I know they struck gold with EJ in round 6 but how often does that happen.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I don't see us letting Jenkins and Tru go. We do need to replace Long tho. I love his fire, but his production leaves something to be desired. If we could get another legit pass rusher....wow.

Athos

Legend
Again the Long ragging.....

I wouldn't be opposed to getting a slick young developmental DE to rest him but he's still plenty good.

Anyway, yea. Way to early to look at draft picks. Way too early.

Memento

Name
Jemma
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I understand that I'm letting a lot of guys go. I feel that Tru and Janoris are going to get paid a lot for their skill-sets, and I don't feel that we can keep them when I'm extending Brockers and McDonald, who are essential to our defense. I'm just factoring in costs of what we might have to pay the other guys I am keeping, and I don't see them staying. I could definitely be wrong, but I don't think that our salary cap can handle it.

Hayes and Sims are amazing rotational players. Hayes is thirty years old. Sims is twenty-nine. They could - and should - probably look for more money than they're already getting and legitimately start somewhere. Look, I love both of them as players and people, but you can't pay everyone.

Barnes is what he is at this point, and he's also a free agent who will get picked up by someone. As for Britt? Quick pretty much does everything that Britt does, except better. I wouldn't be surprised to see him benched in favor of Quick next Sunday because Bailey and Austin each bring other things that Britt simply doesn't. If Quick is fully-recovered, watch out.

As for the draft picks...I know it's early, but I'm basing this on last year's performances combined with this year's, and these guys were the best I could find (credit goes to CBS in terms of where they are ranked as of now; that's what I base my drafts on.)

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We may need a receiver first. Other then Austin who is more of a gadget player, that's the one group we haven't gone high on. And it looks like we really need a game breaker.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
We may need a receiver first. Other then Austin who is more of a gadget player, that's the one group we haven't gone high on. And it looks like we really need a game breaker.

Agreed. I wanted a top receiver in the last draft. The Rams need a few guys that can really separate.

By the looks of it they may need to take another stab at ORT too. Unless Battle can come in and compete for the job. Maybe Darryl Williams should be considered on the right side and keep Havenstein as the backup?

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agreed. I wanted a top receiver in the last draft. The Rams need a few guys that can really separate.

By the looks of it they may need to take another stab at ORT too. Unless Battle can come in and compete for the job. Maybe Darryl Williams should be considered on the right side and keep Havenstein as the backup?
What a shit show lol all of the same needs

Memento

Name
Jemma
For receiver, that's why I'm taking Seals-Jones. This kid is going to be the next Mike Evans/Megatron. He simply adds another dimension to our offense.

For offensive tackle...really? Don't our young guys get more than less a season to show what they can really do? The only position on the line I'm really concerned about is center, and that's because only Barnes and Rhaney can play there. That's why I drafted a center. I probably will not draft an offensive lineman until it's proven that our young guys won't improve. Thank you, and good day, gentlemen.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I like your list of keeps/losses. Sadly Tru and JJ just have not shown the consistency to merit a huge contract. I hope one of them does by the end of the season, but as of now I'd rather bet on EJ Gaines and Roberson to be the future. As for Hayes and Sims, yes they are huge for us but the team is moving into the phase where there's gonna have to be serious dough spent to keep the top guys. Those two have earned the right to seek the chance to be starters (see Langford) and want starter money, and we just can't keep blowing so much cap space on DL rotation. The #5 and #6 guys are gonna have to be the Westbrooks and Trinca-Passat types. I would add McLeod to your list of cuts, it's time to stop keeping anyone long term that doesn't have a ceiling that's better than NFL average at a position.

For the draft, my brain can't calculate what pick numbers you're using.. #32 and #33? The names sound great but isn't Ogbah a likely top 10 pick? And I don't think Scooby drops to round 2 unless he gets hurt again? It's so far away, so who knows, I want to dream of the Rams drafting a defensive player of the year (that works out better than Michael Sam this time)...

Memento

Name
Jemma
For the draft, my brain can't calculate what pick numbers you're using.. #32 and #33? The names sound great but isn't Ogbah a likely top 10 pick? And I don't think Scooby drops to round 2 unless he gets hurt again? It's so far away, so who knows, I want to dream of the Rams drafting a defensive player of the year (that works out better than Michael Sam this time)...

#31 and #32, actually (the Cheatriots forfeited their 2016 first round pick due to DeflateGate). Ogbah was rated as a borderline first on CBS (what I'm using), so he obviously has holes or teams will need quarterbacks and/or cornerbacks (and there's a LOT of them this year). Unless Scooby does better in coverage, he's not going into the first round, but he'll be groomed by Laurinaitis and he's very cerebral as well. And he's a very effective blitzer.

As for keeping McLeod...there isn't a free safety in that class right now who I'd take over McLeod unless it was Jalen Ramsey - and he's top five at the rate he's going because he's excelling at outside cornerback. So I'm keeping McLeod on a two year contract. Should be enough for either Lyons or Joyner to take his place.

Athos

Legend

What I'm noticing so far (and Quick hasn't gotten on the field yet) is that hardly ANY of these guys know how to work themselves open.

Hence why Bradford, and now Foles to some extent, hold on to the ball for so long. Guys aren't working open or working back to the QB. Bailey does, but hardly sees the field. You need a WR that can work himself open, even in a run dominant game (which I've yet to even see from Fisher anyway).

Anyway, we need a STUD LB. That much is clear. Or, at least, one who is above average in coverage and run at MLB. JL55 looks way old.

But replacing 2 top CBs is a recipe for disaster. We'll get even alive unless we end up drafting Hargreaves, but he'll be gone before we pick.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What I'm noticing so far (and Quick hasn't gotten on the field yet) is that hardly ANY of these guys know how to work themselves open.

Hence why Bradford, and now Foles to some extent, hold on to the ball for so long. Guys aren't working open or working back to the QB. Bailey does, but hardly sees the field. You need a WR that can work himself open, even in a run dominant game (which I've yet to even see from Fisher anyway).

Anyway, we need a STUD LB. That much is clear. Or, at least, one who is above average in coverage and run at MLB. JL55 looks way old.

But replacing 2 top CBs is a recipe for disaster. We'll get even alive unless we end up drafting Hargreaves, but he'll be gone before we pick.
So basically all of our positions are upgradable lol. I agree we need a guy who scares defenses. Like an Antonio brown who is just a threat every play. I'd love an enforcer at the linebacker spot too

Memento

Name
Jemma
Going to update this draft with free agency:

Cut: Jared Cook, Kenny Britt.

FA signings:

Alshon Jeffery, five years, 10.5 million-per-year. Gives us a number one wide receiver.

Re-signings/extensions:

Michael Brockers, five years, 6 million-per-year.
T.J. McDonald, four years, 7 million-per-year.
Cory Harkey, three years, 2.5 million per year.
Daren Bates, two years, 1 million-per-year.
Benny Cunningham, one year (RFA).
Greg Zuerlein, six years, 3 million-per-year.
Tim Barnes, one year, 3.5 million-per-year.

(Re-signing core players. Bates is our best special teams player bar none, and Cunningham is our best blocking running back right now. Zuerlein is essential in today's NFL, Brockers and McDonald make up the defense, Barnes is a good option at center, and Harkey is our best blocking tight end.

Restructure:

Chris Long
James Laurinaitis.

(No shock.)

Key Losses: Rodney McLeod, Trumaine Johnson, Janoris Jenkins, Mark Barron, William Hayes, Eugene Sims, Nick Fairley, Brian Quick, Chase Reynolds, Cody Davis, Case Keenum. (A lot of losses, but unfortunately, you can't sign everyone.)

Trade:

Akeem Ayers to the Jacksonville Jaguars for a 2017 third (assuming that Ayers does well with us). They desperately need a linebacker who can rush the passer because their pass-rush looks absolutely brutal right now. Ayers provides the Irvin role that Bradley used in Seattle.

Rodger Saffold and 2016 sixth to the Miami Dolphins for a 2016 second, and a conditional 2017 third (turns into a second if Rodger Saffold plays 75% of the snaps). The Dolphins desperately need veteran help on their line. We don't.

2016 first (#31 overall), 2017 first, 2016 second (ours), and 2017 second (ours) for #5 overall pick in the draft (Cleveland). A dream? I know. But I can definitely fuckin' dream here! :D

Draft:

1st (Browns) - Jalen Ramsey, CB, Florida State. Provides a spark in the secondary, and it allows me to move Lamarcus Joyner to free safety. Ramsey is a true shutdown cornerback that is 6'1", 207 lbs., and his last name is Ramsey. Need I say more?

2nd (Eagles) - Emmanuel Ogbah, DE, Oklahoma State. He's raw and falling because of it, but he's like Ezekiel Ansah in terms of talent.

2nd (Dolphins) -Scooby Wright III, LB, Arizona. He's falling because he's hurt and not the greatest athlete, but immensely talented and cerebral. The eventual replacement for Laurinaitis.

3rd - Briean Boddy-Calhoun, CB, Minnesota. Interception-machine and solid in coverage. Small, but solid.

4th - Evan Boehm, C, Missouri. Solid coke-machine for a center who is one of the best to come around.

I know I'm giving up a lot for Ramsey, but hey, I can dream, right?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Those trades aren't happening. Not plausible. Nor should we trade Saffold right now. Especially if our OL continues to improve and gel. You know what they say about fixing things that aren't broken. ;)

I also highly doubt Alshon hits free agency. If the Bears aren't going to re-sign him/franchise him, I think they'll trade him. And right now, it looks like he's sticking around. If he does hit FA, he's the one guy I'd be willing to spend a lot of money on this year.

I also think it would be a bad move letting all those guys go. We're losing far too many key players.

And that's way too much to trade for a CB.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Those trades aren't happening. Not plausible. Nor should we trade Saffold right now. Especially if our OL continues to improve and gel. You know what they say about fixing things that aren't broken. ;)

I also highly doubt Alshon hits free agency. If the Bears aren't going to re-sign him/franchise him, I think they'll trade him. And right now, it looks like he's sticking around. If he does hit FA, he's the one guy I'd be willing to spend a lot of money on this year.

I also think it would be a bad move letting all those guys go. We're losing far too many key players.

And that's way too much to trade for a CB.

Hence why I said it was a dream mock. ;) :p

Stel

Starter
If you assume both Jenkins and Johnson leave in FA, you damn well better take AT LEAST one CB before round 3. I'm thinking we take one that early even if we resign both of them.