2015 Defense?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
What are your thoughts on the Rams Defense for next season? Seems to me that they have played pretty well this year especially considering I don't think they have had much help from their Offense. Other than maybe adding another OLB I think they are in pretty good shape for next season and if that is the case I hope the Rams do add another LB but then I hope they concentrate on helping their Offense (QB, OL, etc) during the offseason.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
I didn't think we needed another DT but I'm sure glad we got Aaron Donald. The Rams had CJ Mosley on their board if Donald was gone and he has been excellent for the Ravens. He would've given our LB corps some flexibility and eventually could replace JL. Heck, if there was another Donald-like DT available, the line could go from scary to potentially all-time greatest. Nothing wrong w that.

But I agree, OLine and QB are more pressing needs. I actually like our receivers though I question whether our coordinator is capable of getting what we can from them.

SierraRam

Recreational User
We're fine. Maybe an LB in FA or the 3rd or 4th round. We obviously need QB and OL right now. I don't like how we got gashed by Matthews yesterday, but it doesn't happen as often as before.

And, oh yeah, we'll have Chris Long back next year too!

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
I wish they were more consistant and better fundamentally. We play really fierce/mean football. The defense seems to live with turnovers (which is good) but seems to also give up a lot of extra yards due to being over agressive/turnover happy. Feel like there is better balance to be found. Take the Keenan Allen fumble. He catches the ball at the 40, and breaks tackles until the 15 where he fumbles. Honestly by that point he should have realized he had been slowed enough he should have covered up the ball. The rams did end up forcing the fumble at the end of the play, but he breaks what 4 tackles and picks up an extra 20 yards because guys are slapping at the ball instead of tackling? On his TD ogletree comes running by and slaps at the ball first and misses the tackle which was clearly secondary to him.

I love how we can get to a QB and create fear in him, I love that the recievers worry about a hard hit. I hate the obvious overagressiveness that lead to lots of extra yards. Felt like Matthews was tearing us up yesterday - get ball, wait second to see which way defense was going, go other way...they seemed ready to use that over agressiveness against us thus his 105yrds on 12 carries.

think the talent is there - but coaching needs to focus on basics more.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Totally agree. The San Diego game was a setback for the Rams D for sure, certainly that they couldn't contain Mathews. But more importantly as a long term concern, they just struggle against offenses that hit them with high percentage throws and get those YAC yards. Rivers was 29 of 35, and the only throw that went over 10 yards in the air was to the man JL was covering. Same thing against Kansas City, that they just wither under that kind of attack before the end of the day.

I still believe the Rams D has seriously turned the corner, and we're going to see great things from them the rest of this year. We'll get Chris Long back probably next week, which will give us another dynamic athlete on the edge; a DE that can hold the edge is critical to a 4-3. I think the addition of Mark Barron is going to pay huge dividends next year, and we'll certainly get some taste of that before the end of this year.

One more OLB type, who is great in coverage and playing in space (think Thomas Davis from Carolina), that's what we need.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Stick with what we got. Although I might draft the right LB to eventually replace Laurinaitis. He's just slow at this point.

But with Mark Barron as the SPUR(LB/S hybrid), I think our defense is set. Just add some depth(probably will have to replace Kendall Langford due to his high cap number).

This year, we can focus on offense.

Alan

Legend
This will come as a shock to some but I think we need a FS.:eek::eek::eek: :LOL:

We also need an OLB and a MLB (not a huge need but I'd like to upgrade).

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I expect the Rams to dominate in every phase of the game next year and go 19-0 while out scoring their opponents 700-0. At least that's what we deserve after this disastrous, nightmare decade of football we have witnessed. They better make the fucking playoffs next year.

ztoben

Professional NFL Couch Analyst
Name
ztoben
Pick up a LB in free agency or in the 3rd round/5th round. The talent is there, now it's just about getting playing time together and letting this defensive scheme sink in. As it always seems with this rams team, they have potential.

Cory

UDFA
Yesterday, there was one thing I hated. We would have our backers blitz and our db's 10 yards off. The whole middle of the field was wide open and that was why Rivers completed so many passes and the yac piled up.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We really don't have to worry about our defense now. They're going to continue to be groomed and coached up, and the depth of young players is going to come up nicely under Williams.

2015 defense will be nasty right out the gate. IMO.

Cullen Bryant

Rookie
Name
Will
It's true the defense has played really good at times but it's also true they've been really bad at times, just to inconsistent for me to think they're set on defense. I think they need an upgrade at mlb and wlb, they also need improved depth at DT. Langford has taken a step back this year and Carrington has given us absolutely nothing. A true FS would be great as well.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Next years defense will be lights out, the players are finally getting the system.

We need to spend our draft picks next year on Oline and QB.

ausmurp

Starter
Defense desperately needs a FS that can play good ZONE. I've been spouting this off now for 2 years. How many big plays has McCleod given up? He's a terrible FS he constantly makes terrible mistakes that result in long TD passes. All of our safeties are great 'in the box' safeties and this is Fisher's style from the 80s and 90s sure it worked then. It's a passing league now and we have no safeties that can cover deep. This is still our biggest weakness and I don't think Fisher even realizes because he's stuck in the 80s/90s style of football. Tard.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Think on this for a second ....this whole defense is set ready to return as Rams next season. The biggest free agency issue is a non issue on Rodney McLeod status as a RFA. Rams 9th DL Alex Carrington is a UFA but in truth he has only 1 tackle & injured most of the time...Rams are better off with a vacancy than to pay for his services again.

The 8 DL'ers of Long, Quinn, Hayes, Sims, Brockers, Langford, Donald & Westbrooks on paper looks to be one of the best DL's in the NFL. I see no need of any major insertions of $$$ or valuable draft wealth into the DL. I see where many members here are suggesting of releasing Kendall Langford due to his expense in the Cap hit...I would NOT suggest this.

The other large defensive unit of Rams is a very young secondary, Fisher & Snead have stockpiled young very good players. Jenkins, Johnson,Gaines, McGee & Roberson are the CB's & they all return. The safeties have Barron, McDonald, Davis, Alexander & C.Bryant set to return. Three of which are high 1st, 3rd & 4th rd picks. This unit should be exceptional too.

The weakest area of the defensive is the smaller LB'ing unit. All three of our starters return in 2015 same LB'ing cadre that started since 2013. It should be said that both Fisher & Williams use 5 & 6 DB's on the field than a standard 3 LB'ers. This unit could use some infusion of younger talent. Two of our current journeyman Lb'er will be UFA's. I would suggest adding a good veteran & then turn to the draft & use a 5th & 7th rd draft picks for LB'ers.....
http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/linebacker/

In conclusion Rams are in great condition defensively next season. The real problems this Ram team has is on the offensive side where this team is very shaky at the most important NFL position, the QB & in the unit that is assigned to protect this most important QB position the OL. That's where Snead & Fisher needs to turn their major attention too after the new year begins.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
We need a LB.....We should get Barron ready to start with TJ McDonald.....We should NOT re-sign McLeod...maybe grab one of those nice corners with off the field issues in the 7th round...Shaw from SC, Peters from Washington, or the kid from FSU........QB-LB-OL-OL-CB...oh do we have room for DGB too?

BuZzB29

I will watch the college defense which is best to draft. Then I will check on highlights.