1973 Los Angeles Rams Highlights

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dan Poplawski

Rookie
Name
Dan Poplawski
I remember it well, new QB over from SD, new coach and as a 14 yr old kid the best parts was the new colors. Aside from 1999 it was my favorite year.
Just imagine, in those days, being a LA fan in Vermont, unless they played the Jets, Giants or Patriots I never saw a game. In fact there was no knowing who won until the next days paper.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I remember it well, new QB over from SD, new coach and as a 14 yr old kid the best parts was the new colors. Aside from 1999 it was my favorite year.

So true, I was 7 at the times and those colors popped. Was upset about losing Gabriel, but knowing they got Harold Jackson in the deal made me feel better and Hadl had a heck of year with the exception of the playoff game in Dallas.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
Forgot what a real monster Larry Brooks was.

14th round draft pick.

Played 10 years for the LA Rams and made 5 Pro Bowls.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Narrated by Dick Enberg.

Great Post! Thanks for the Trip down memory lane coach!! 1973 a Fantastic year! The Rams Killed the Falcon's / Harold Jackson's 4 TD's in the 1st half against Dallas! / Fred Dryer's Safety Record that still stands today! etc.etc. :wow:
And I don't want to forget that was the 1st year of the " New Uni's"!!
I'm thinking ' Karma' may be coming to Town soon. In a Good way!!

tempests

Hall of Fame
No 1 ranked offense
No 1 ranked defense

The only team in Rams history that can claim that. They were so close to going 14-0 too. Their two losses were by a combined three points.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dick Vermeil was the 1973 Rams running back coach? Wow! Didn't know that.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This was my first Rams game in the LA Coliseum in 1973. LA Rams vs the Cleveland Browns in the last game of the regular season. We were favored to win the Super Bowl that year, but lost the next week in the playoffs. Hadl was good that year, but in the end he was not a franchise QB for us. Seven straight NFC West Championships, yet only one Super Bowl appearance with arguably the weakest Ram's team in that seven year stretch.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Thanks for posting that, den.

Damn! So many happy memories. This was the season that reignited my love for the Rams.

Anybody notice the blocking by that Ram OL? Wow!

And Harold Jackson? He had 13 TD receptions in a 14 game season while the NFL was a "running" league? Are you KIDDING me?

Yep, Chuck Knox deserved that Coach of the Year award. He turned in a "real fine" effort. Lol.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
No 1 ranked offense
No 1 ranked defense

The only team in Rams history that can claim that. They were so close to going 14-0 too. Their two losses were by a combined three points.
Soon we will be better than this^!!(y):D:yay::yess:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Thanks for posting that, den.

Damn! So many happy memories. This was the season that reignited my love for the Rams.

Anybody notice the blocking by that Ram OL? Wow!

And Harold Jackson? He had 13 TD receptions in a 14 game season while the NFL was a "running" league? Are you KIDDING me?

Yep, Chuck Knox deserved that Coach of the Year award. He turned in a "real fine" effort. Lol.
"Ground Chuck deserves to be in the Hall of Fame, But sadly isn't!!"

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Dick Vermeil was the 1973 Rams running back coach? Wow! Didn't know that.

Sure was and left the staff after that season to take over as Head Coach of UCLA....Knox and the Ram offense was never the same, coincidence????? I think not!

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
"Ground Chuck deserves to be in the Hall of Fame, But sadly isn't!!"

Could never get his team to a Super Bowl, he did win playoff games unlike Marty Schottenheimer, but could never get his team to the big dance and he had some great ones with the Rams, then the Bills & Seahawks.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here is one Dave51 "quiz" question that I am about to ruin...What NFL team in 1973 had two brothers playing on the defensive line, sometimes together?

LA Rams, of course. Merlin and Phil Olsen...I remember seeing that in the game program in 1973, and it really amazed me as a kid.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
My favorite quiz question of 1973 is who was behind the Roman Gabriel trade to the Philadelphia Eagles?

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My favorite quiz question of 1973 is who was behind the Roman Gabriel trade to the Philadelphia Eagles?
Was that Roman Gabriel and his "permission to trade has to be granted by me" contract?

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Was that Roman Gabriel and his "permission to trade has to be granted by me" contract?

Correct Roman Gabriel requested the trade because he did not want to battle Hadl for the number one QB. Now the rams acquired Hadl because Gabiel was hurt in 1972 because of that the Rams had to trade for Pete Beathard so the Rams wanted two good QB's in 73, but Gabriel requested to be traded so the Rams dealt him to Philadelphia for WR Harold Jackson and then singed James Harris to backup Hadl.

Interesting fact is the Rams traded three high profile Quarterbacks to the Eagles, Norm Van Brocklin, Roman Gabriel & Sam Bradford.