1 Move Each NFL Team Should Make Before the Regular Season Begins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
1 Move Each NFL Team Should Make Before the Regular Season Begins
By Alessandro Miglio, Featured Columnist Jul 23, 2014

hi-res-53fcc4b291718736813c14bf91ecf014_crop_north.jpg

Darron Cummings/Associated Press

St. Louis Rams

Move They Should Make: Start Four Offensive Tackles on the Offensive Line

This is already in the works, but the St. Louis Rams might have one of the best offensive lines in the NFL if they get this done.

Jake Long is coming back from a torn ACL, and No. 2 pick Greg Robinson might not be polished enough of a pass-blocker to start at left tackle. The Rams plan to move Robinson to left guard for the season—regardless of Long's status—where he should thrive given he is such a good run-blocker.

That would leave Joe Barksdale at right tackle and former tackle Rodger Saffold at right guard, a rather interesting lineup. If Long can make it all the way back sooner than later, the Rams might have an answer to the NFC West's stout defenses.
---------------------------------------------
If you want to check out the entire slideshow click here.

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
I feel Jake Longs health could make all the difference. It would be nice to have a healthy offensive line.

Alan

Legend
RamsAndEwe hoping for a healthy Long:
I feel Jake Longs health could make all the difference. It would be nice to have a healthy offensive line.
I agree but unfortunately he isn't the only O-lineman we we to worry about.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
It seems a little weird our move that we need to make is one we already have. Are we flawless already? There's not a single move, that we haven't done already, that would make this team better? Writer was probably just trying to finish quickly. Must of had a deadline.

jjab360

Legend
So the move that we should make that would change everything... is a move we've already made??

Genius!

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
losing any one of these guys COULD, again i say could topple the Jenga tower. or hopefully someone steps up from the depth. either way this is why I believe the Oline is more concerning than the secondary. I just completely believe the secondaries problem last year was 75% Waltons fault. And theres lots of depth now at the secondary proven or not I believe Williams is just that good to bring the best out of all of them.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
The could have thought of something more creative. Fisher announced that Robinson would start at guard from the beginning.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I guess that's the good part of starting 4 tackles on the line. Basically just need to make sure you have guard depth. If a tackle gets hurt you have two ready to slide over. With Joseph, Jones and Bond, I'm happy with our guard depth. But multiple injuries would really dampen things. But it's that way with most teams.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Alan consumed by "Deep Thought"
I agree but unfortunately he isn't the only O-lineman we we (what? :LOL: I know, I know) to worry about.[/QUOTE]
-------------

At some point the Rams bad luck with O-Line injuries "gots" to change. all reports (at least the ones coming from the Yams) point to #77 being projected good to go opening game, you got Barrett Jones and this guy Joseph ready as "plan B" I'm looking forward to one hell of an improvement up front to the likes we haven't seen from the past 10 years.

Last edited:

Alan

Legend
OC--LeftCoast looking for a sea change:
At some point the Rams bad luck with O-Line injuries "gots" to change. all reports (at least the ones coming from the Yams) point to #77 being projected good to go opening game, you got Barrett Jones and this guy Joseph ready as "plan B" I'm looking forward to one hell of an improvement up front to the likes we haven't seen from the past 10 years.
A complete unknown who was unable to outplay Barnes (much less Wells) last year and an old guy who has yet to show he's more than a shell of the player he was before his injury? We'd better hope for a relatively injury free O-line this year.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Alan--Being negative once again
A complete unknown who was unable to outplay Barnes (much less Wells) last year and an old guy who has yet to show he's more than a shell of the player he was before his injury? We'd better hope for a relatively injury free O-line this year.

Except the fact that CLong was playing very well before he went down last year. Hardly a shell of his former self. Also, when do we ever NOT hope for an injury free O-Line?? For that matter, when was the last time that happened?? And yet some people are so upset that we strengthened the OL in the draft instead of going WR with the 2nd pick......very strange.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
losing any one of these guys COULD, again i say could topple the Jenga tower. or hopefully someone steps up from the depth. either way this is why I believe the Oline is more concerning than the secondary.

I think we can probably lose two guys without the Jenga tower collapsing.

Davin Joseph was really putting things together at the end of last season, not just because that's what his PFF grades said, but I also watched the last 5 Tampa games on nfl rewind to see for myself. We could lose any of the 2 Gs and put Joseph there, or if we lose a Ts we could push Saffold or Robinson out.

If we lose Wells, one of Barnes or BJones should be able to step up without us hitting the tipping point.

Once you get past those guys, there will most likely be a big drop off to the next guy in talent and/or experience. Jenga tower will surely wobble, if not fall.

Alan

Legend
Faceplant chiming in:
Except the fact that CLong was playing very well before he went down last year. Hardly a shell of his former self. Also, when do we ever NOT hope for an injury free O-Line?? For that matter, when was the last time that happened?? And yet some people are so upset that we strengthened the OL in the draft instead of going WR with the 2nd pick......very strange.
I assume you're talking about JLong since CLong is a DE. :LOL:

Secondly, The "shell" I was talking about was/is being worn by Davin Joseph who, so far, has not been the player he was before his injury. That's kind of why, despite the fact that many teams are desperately in need of O-line help, he didn't get signed by someone else. For a former multiple Pro-bowl G who at 32 isn't horribly old not get signed until this late date ( and for a tiny salary) speaks volumes doesn't it? I believe that we are simply kicking the tires on him (much like Britt) and hoping for the best. Not to mention the fact that his age make's him a huge injury risk itself, over and above the risk that his position entails.

You missed the part where I said "relatively" injury free. ;) The amount of O-line injuries we've sustained in the last few years is much higher than the average. I'd like us to be one of the teams that brings the average down. :)

Finally, I myself wanted us to do more in the draft for our O-line than we did. I would have been fine with trading up for Martin like we wanted to do. Of course that would have been a two edged sword in that we wouldn't have Joyner or Tre Mason.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I think we can probably lose two guys without the Jenga tower collapsing.

Davin Joseph was really putting things together at the end of last season, not just because that's what his PFF grades said, but I also watched the last 5 Tampa games on nfl rewind to see for myself. We could lose any of the 2 Gs and put Joseph there, or if we lose a Ts we could push Saffold or Robinson out.

If we lose Wells, one of Barnes or BJones should be able to step up without us hitting the tipping point.

Once you get past those guys, there will most likely be a big drop off to the next guy in talent and/or experience. Jenga tower will surely wobble, if not fall.

A healthy Joseph would help our depth considerably.
I hope he has his full strength back. Staff infections are serious business.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The move we need to make? Hmmm, lots of guys may disagree but I'd already transition away from Wells, and see if Jones can start or Barnes...I was watching some tape, it seemed vs certain DT's he was getting blown back into Sam every pass play. He stays in front ok, but he looks like an injury ready to happen...

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I assume you're talking about JLong since CLong is a DE. :LOL:

Secondly, The "shell" I was talking about was/is being worn by Davin Joseph who, so far, has not been the player he was before his injury. That's kind of why, despite the fact that many teams are desperately in need of O-line help, he didn't get signed by someone else. For a former multiple Pro-bowl G who at 32 isn't horribly old not get signed until this late date ( and for a tiny salary) speaks volumes doesn't it? I believe that we are simply kicking the tires on him (much like Britt) and hoping for the best. Not to mention the fact that his age make's him a huge injury risk itself, over and above the risk that his position entails.

You missed the part where I said "relatively" injury free. ;) The amount of O-line injuries we've sustained in the last few years is much higher than the average. I'd like us to be one of the teams that brings the average down. :)

Finally, I myself wanted us to do more in the draft for our O-line than we did. I would have been fine with trading up for Martin like we wanted to do. Of course that would have been a two edged sword in that we wouldn't have Joyner or Tre Mason.

I'd like to give this a half like ;)I think you could be selling Joseph a little short, at least I'm hoping so.